March 28, 2024, 04:44:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Water Based Adhesive  (Read 5793 times)

Offline gluedudeguru

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Water Based Adhesive
« on: November 10, 2009, 03:10:56 PM »
Hello all,

I am looking to create a new glue for my company and i/we would like it to be a water based glue.  I will be gluing carbon arrow shafts to polyurethane vanes.  My search started (slowly and discouragingly) with poly vinyl alcohol.  It doesnt seem to have the tack and staying power that our solvent based adhesive has.  Any additives? Clays?  I hear boric acid helps with crosslinking and i will try it, does anyone know if this well help much?

Does any one have any expertise or knowledge with water based adhesive.  I am willing to try anything.  If there are any companies that anyone knows of that sells a really great water based glue, that is somehing i am willing to look into as well.

Thank you

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
Re: Water Based Adhesive
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 10:17:17 AM »
Company I used to work for made an excellant waterbased adhesive.  It was a sticky polymer emulsion (mid/high MW acrylic I think) mixed in with some chalky, dolomite filler. Made excellent wood glue and would easily stick the shafts you wanted.  Takes a while to dry off though  -  best left over night.

Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline gluedudeguru

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 07:20:42 AM »
Are you able to tell me that company name at all?

What do you remember about the constituents of the glue?  Was it polyvinyl alcohol base or something else.  Do you know what they used to increase tack?

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 12:38:17 PM »
It was an acrylic dispersion.  We used less filler to get more tack - or changed to a different grade. (we bought the polymer in so we couldn't make changes to it really). You could also add some coalescing solvent, but this is digressing really.

If you used polyvinyl alcohol you would get a more traditional glue, but it wont be water proof when set.  With the emulsion it takes longer to dry and is less tacky to start, so you may have to clamp the joint on place as it dries, but you'll get a stronger final bond and it will be waterproof.

Basically it was just like "No more nails" - a tough, waterbased general building adhesive. The bond when the stuff is dry is very strong.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Sponsored Links