April 25, 2024, 07:46:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Alum lab  (Read 4246 times)

Offline ILoveISO

• Mole Snacks: +2/-13
Alum lab
« on: November 12, 2009, 12:02:55 AM »
"Give both theoretical and experimental melting points of my product. Compare and comment on the purity?

Theoretical was 92 - 92.5 degrees while my experimental was 92 - 95 does this mean that my product isn't that pure? anyone know? Thanks

Offline BetaAmyloid

• Mole Snacks: +18/-38
Re: Alum lab
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 04:53:26 PM »
Well, you had about a 1-3% error yield on melting point. So, that isn't that bad, this may not be just due to your substance, it couuld be mechanical error - such as the instruments used. But, I wouldn't know exactly what substance is mixed with your product substance, but it would obviously be one with a higher melting point.

If you know what you were mixing together, you could look on the internet to which has a higher melting point, then hypothesize that whatever product has a high-high melting point is still somewhat present in your product.

:)
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought - Albert Szent-Györgyi

Offline ILoveISO

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 07:18:49 PM »
It was dissolved aluminum foil which turned into white powdery stuff and I put a bit of it into a small testtube and burnt that

Offline BetaAmyloid

• Mole Snacks: +18/-38
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
I still don't know what the experiment was.  :-\

You gotta tell us exactly what was mixed/used/done.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought - Albert Szent-Györgyi

Offline ILoveISO

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 07:37:02 PM »
The experiment is called "The synthesis of potassium alum by recycling aluminum"

Basically I took ~1g of aluminum foil, ripped it into little pieces and put it into a beaker with 1.4M of potassium hydroxide. This was then heated up till it started to boil then was cooled in a ice bath. I then added 9M of sulphuric acid and dissolved the remains inside and reheated everything till it all dissolved then put into a ice bath and made the stuff crystallize. Once it was powdery I took a sample of that in a beaker and put it over a flame and viewed the thermometer in it to see when it boiled at what degrees

Sponsored Links