March 29, 2024, 03:03:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: water seperation  (Read 11635 times)

singerp

water seperation
« on: June 05, 2004, 09:05:06 PM »

Stupid question. How do you seperate the hydrogen and oxygen in water into their seperate flammable gases? If you can,the exact process. Not a homework question.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:water seperation
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 11:16:20 PM »
It's simple electrolysis.  Just put an electrical current through some water and hydrogen will form at the negative electrode and oxygen will form at the positive electrode.  The electrical current provides the energy needed to break the hydrogen-oxygen bonds and also provides the electrons needed for those atoms to bond with themselves, thus forming hydrogen and oxygen gas.  This process, however, proceeds fairly slowly unless a salt is added to the water to increase its conductivity.  However, adding sodium chloride causes some chlorine gas to form with the oxygen and some sodium hydroxide to form in the solution.  
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 11:42:47 PM »
However, adding sodium chloride causes some chlorine gas to form with the oxygen and some sodium hydroxide to form in the solution.  

I dont think that adding some NaCl will lead to the formation of chlorine gas. Aq anions discharge preferentially according to their concentration. In a diluted NaCl solution, it is most unlikely that the chloride anion will be discharged to form chlorine gas. Instead, the hydroxide ion will be discharged preferentially to give oxygen gas according to this equation:

4OH- => 2H2O + O2 + 4e

I disagree that there will be aq NaOH due to discharge of hydroxide ions at the anode.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

chemicalLindsay

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 02:09:19 AM »
Ive done it before and geodome is right no chlorine gas will be discharged unless the solution is concentrated because if you make a concentrated solution of sodium chloride there will be more chlorine ions present in the solution than hydroxide and so therefore chlorine gas will be discharged.My main suggestions are to use good graphite electrodes (note graphite is pencil lead ,however the real electrodes are the best) and have a good consistant power source that has both a good amperage output and a good voltage output (note two nine volt batteries seemed to work well for our science teacher).also  oxygen isn't a flammable gas it is just what combines with a fuel or hydrogen to burn or explode.If it was flammable imagine what would happen when you lit a match.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 03:17:41 PM »
I've done concentrated NaCl electrolysis. Chlorine gas was produces and NaOH solid was formed.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 04:01:06 AM »
How do you seperate the hydrogen and oxygen in water into their seperate flammable gases?
Only hydrogen is a flamable gas.

In industrial elecrolysis always solution of KOH (or NaOH) is used
AWK

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
Re:water seperation (sic)
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 04:51:24 AM »
However, adding sodium chloride causes some chlorine gas to form with the oxygen and some sodium hydroxide to form in the solution.  

I dont think that adding some NaCl will lead to the formation of chlorine gas. Aq anions discharge preferentially according to their concentration. In a diluted NaCl solution, it is most unlikely that the chloride anion will be discharged to form chlorine gas. Instead, the hydroxide ion will be discharged preferentially to give oxygen gas according to this equation:

4OH- => 2H2O + O2 + 4e

I disagree that there will be aq NaOH due to discharge of hydroxide ions at the anode.
Hello

Does anyone have a link to a dcoument that succinctly describes:

The effect of concentration on what is discharged during aqueous electrolysis?
Which anions are discharged during electrolysis? For example in electrolysis conc. or dilute sulphuric acid or conc. vs dil. hydrochloric acid?
Is (standard) electrode potential relevant in deciding products of aqueous electrolysis at different concentrations?

A reference to a textbook that I can get from the library will be fine.

I have read lists of the products in various books and web sites over the years but precious few explanations.

Thanks

Clive

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: water seperation
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 08:31:33 AM »
First and the most important - Nernst equation. That's where the standard potentials and concentrations enter the scene.

Then it becomes more complicated, as there are details (overpotential on different electrodes) that can be determined only experimentally... Sorry, no links nor books.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links