March 28, 2024, 02:58:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Isolation of Sertraline from the "additives"  (Read 5889 times)

Offline Seizure

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Isolation of Sertraline from the "additives"
« on: November 16, 2009, 12:43:33 AM »
I have 1350 milligrams of sertraline, obtained through a prescription, but it wasn't really for me so now I have leftovers.

I know it sounds fairly pointless, but I like doing things "just for the sake of doing them". I'm going to dissolve them all into water, and then let them re-solidify into a solid block, but I was wondering if I could get some help on how I might go about separating the sertraline its self from the blue coloring used on the outside of the pills, and if possible, the HCl that is added to most pharmaceutical pills.

Are there any physical properties of sertraline/the coloring used in medications/HCl I could use? I don't really have access to any complicated lab equipment, so the easier it is to do this with everyday objects and processes, the better.

Also, different question, but sort of related: Does anybody know anything cool I can do with sertraline? Like, anything at all? As I said, this medication isn't really for me, and it seems like a waste to just throw it away. I've heard that taking the amount I currently have results in the equivalent of an acid trip, but the side-effects of sertraline seem awfully unappealing and not at all worth it.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: Isolation of Sertraline from the "additives"
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 01:19:02 AM »
This isn't a forum for the discussion of the use of substances in an illegal manner.  At any rate, there are about a billion things I can think of that I'd rather consume recreationally (though I don't) than a tricyclic antidepressant.  Just extract it for fun if you really feel the need.  It's probably a simple acid base extraction.

Offline Seizure

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 01:43:54 AM »
I specifically stated I didn't intend on consuming it? Also, Sertraline isn't a tricyclic, it's an SSRI. And of course I'm extracting it just for fun, it's not like I couldn't have consumed it in its pill form if that's all I wanted. And for the record, when you consume LSD, all that's happening is the LSD connecting to your seratonin receptors in massive ammounts, which is in fact what causes the hallucinations. Consuming ludicrous amounts of anti-depressants achieves the same thing, albeit with some undesirable effects in addition to that. But that's all besides the point!

Anyways, you'll have to be a bit specific with me, chemistry isn't one of my strong points. I know HCl is an acid, but what base would I use that would create only water/gas as a byproduct, and also wouldn't damage the sertraline? Keep in mind that I only have access to everyday substances.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes", but just to make sure, would the sertraline and HCl necessarily separate in a water solution, making it easy to isolate? Or are they bonded together?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 02:35:13 AM by Seizure »

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 07:57:19 AM »
I specifically stated I didn't intend on consuming it?

And I am stating here and now that I won't ever drink beer in the next 25 years. Do you believe me?

There are many drugs with active substances that you could use for extraction experiments, no need to start with a controversial one. Topic locked.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links