April 18, 2024, 09:52:15 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: how to deal with yellow phosphorus  (Read 3511 times)

Offline rosegarden

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
how to deal with yellow phosphorus
« on: November 20, 2009, 10:53:51 AM »
as we know the yellow phosphorus is poisonous, how can we deal with it without polluting the environment? i am a freshman in the university ,i can not any scientific article about this.please help me

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
Re: how to deal with yellow phosphorus
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 11:10:05 AM »
You know poisonous properties are different from those that cause environmental issues right? ::)

For one thing, the material must be both stable in the environment, and toxic to cause issues.  Look up info on yellow phosphorus, and you will realize exactly why this is pretty harmless environmentally. 

Offline rosegarden

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 11:09:50 PM »
i mean how to deal with yellow Phosphorus which is not pure and useless in the lab.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 01:22:04 PM »
Expose to air while it is in a vessel capable of surviving very high heat.  It will burn into P2O5 which will then hydrate in the air to phosphoric acid.  Don't breathe either the P2O5 or the phosphoric acid mist.

Mind you, the above should be a crime, as white/yellow P is an amazing compound.

White/yellow P is hard to get these days.  It may be better to just distill the phosphorus you have to obtain shiny new white P.

Sponsored Links