April 28, 2024, 06:20:08 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Public Domain Information on Periodic Elements  (Read 5682 times)

Offline vassilios

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Public Domain Information on Periodic Elements
« on: November 18, 2009, 06:02:13 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get Public Domain (or non copyrighted) correct information on the Periodic Table Elements?

I know, or I think at least, that Wikipedia has that, but its too scattered..

Is there anywhere else?

Thanks

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Public Domain Information on Periodic Elements
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 02:39:50 AM »
What sort of information are you after? Atomic weights? electronic configurations? common oxidation states? phase of matter at stp? . ?

Offline vassilios

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 02:48:14 AM »
Hi,

Im after any info I can get: Chemical composition, atomic structure.. but it has to be public domain (for copyright issues). Thanks

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 03:41:15 AM »
I doubt information that atomic mass of hydrogen is 1.00794(7) is copyrighted. Form of presentation can be, but data is not.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 10:00:12 AM »
It is especially difficult to find items that will not conflict with the copyright laws or patent laws. So if you want to do something like publish it takes a lot of time to find something that is public domain. Assume the original person who posted wanted to put a periodical table and its information in an educational document, they would have to get the permission of the author of that periodic table. But, someone could say that that person's table looks too much like theirs and cause both publications to be in jeopardy.

Does http://www.webelements.com/ link from our site allow free and unfettered usage. Can you incorporate it whole cloth into a publication? Can you use it as an intrinsic link in your publication? Can you use a copy of the picture of the table without issue? How does one know if just stating the source is sufficient? I do not think that site fills the bill even though we have it as our periodic table link.

When I published I had a very hard time finding photos I wanted to use that were not public domain.

Sponsored Links