April 26, 2024, 02:14:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Aldehyde Reactions Toxic?  (Read 8702 times)

Offline jenniferb82

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Aldehyde Reactions Toxic?
« on: November 20, 2009, 02:47:34 PM »
Any and all responses to this lingering question would help so much. Thousands of women are running out and getting a hair straightening treatment that is called the Keratin Smoothing Complex. It is considered "safe" and "chemical free". I cannot find but one piece of literature that describes the ingredients or chemical composition of this product, except for the link I will paste below. I am worried because I just found out I was pregnant, but had this treatment done recently. It is my understanding (limited) that Aldehydes when heated give off formaldahyde vapors that are toxic and cause birth defects. This product contains aldehyde and is heated to 400 degrees via straightening iron. My eyes burned when I got this done.
The producers of this product claim it is formaldayhde free and non-toxic, however they "suggest pregnant or lactating women do not get this done". Hmmmm...sounds fishy. Can any chemistry genius out there soothe my fears or at least give me an intelligent explanation as to the chemical processes going on? (can you dumb it down a little for a non-chemist?) thanks so much. I have pasted a link to the patent site below..

Signed,
Worried mother to be. They have us all thinking this stuff is natural and harmless... ::)

Skim to the bottom to see the information when you open this link.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2009/0211593.html

Offline jenniferb82

Re: Aldehyde Reactions Toxic?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 04:38:41 PM »
Any and all responses to this lingering question would help so much. Thousands of women are running out and getting a hair straightening treatment that is called the Keratin Smoothing Complex. It is considered "safe" and "chemical free". I cannot find but one piece of literature that describes the ingredients or chemical composition of this product, except for the link I will paste below. I am worried because I just found out I was pregnant, but had this treatment done recently. It is my understanding (limited) that Aldehydes when heated give off formaldahyde vapors that are toxic and cause birth defects. This product contains aldehyde and is heated to 400 degrees via straightening iron. My eyes burned when I got this done.
The producers of this product claim it is formaldayhde free and non-toxic, however they "suggest pregnant or lactating women do not get this done". Hmmmm...sounds fishy. Can any chemistry genius out there soothe my fears or at least give me an intelligent explanation as to the chemical processes going on? (can you dumb it down a little for a non-chemist?) thanks so much. I have pasted a link to the patent site below..

Signed,
Worried mother to be. They have us all thinking this stuff is natural and harmless... ::)

Skim to the bottom to see the information when you open this link.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2009/0211593.html

This is a link to the msds fact sheet:

http://www.rwaseriousbeauty.com/MSDS2pages.pdf

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 05:28:07 PM »
First there is no such thing as "chemical free" products.  Everything is made of chemicals you are, I am, the computer I'm writing this on, the food we eat and the air we breath everything is made of chemicals.

Second natural and harmless are not equal.  Cobra venom is natural as is the flu virus and the bubonic plague but they are not harmless.

From a single exposure I would not worry about it but don't get it done again.

Offline jenniferb82

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 05:50:48 PM »
DrCMS,

Thanks for replying, and all very good points (almost embarrassingly logical)! Very much appreciated. :)

Offline jenniferb82

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 05:57:38 PM »
DrCMS,

Thanks for replying, and all very good points (almost embarrassingly logical)! Very much appreciated. :)

Oh, one more question if I may. Don't get it done now, or ever?

Offline jenniferb82

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 05:59:30 PM »
DrCMS,

Oh, one more question if I may. Do you think it is safe for non-pregnant women?

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 06:37:27 PM »
As it is not recommended for pregnant women then leave it until you have had your baby and finished breast feeding (if you decide to do so).

Babies and children are more susceptible to things because they are smaller and going through so many changes.

If you are worried about it do not do it as the worry may effect your health more than the possible effect of any chemicals in it.

Offline jenniferb82

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 07:33:36 PM »
DrCMS,

I don't think I'll take a chance on it again... Thanks so much!  :) The things women do to themselves huh?!

Sponsored Links