March 29, 2024, 09:06:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Wounds  (Read 8955 times)

Offline BetaAmyloid

• Mole Snacks: +18/-38
Wounds
« on: November 21, 2009, 06:42:06 PM »
I enjoy going deer hunting, and if any of you guys also go deer hunting, you know the deer in the back of the truck bleeds all over the place. So, my question is:

What could be put in the wound (chemical) that would stop the bleeding and clot the blood vessels of the deer so you don't have to deal with cleaning the truck everytime?

In the same sense, sometimes there are accidents with people during dear hunting, such as scrapes, deep cuts, and rarely bullet holes; so likewise, what would be best to stop the bleeding and clot the bloods vessels of a human being in case of an injury?

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought - Albert Szent-Györgyi

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
Re: Wounds
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 08:35:13 PM »
I cannot say I would have any desire to chemical up a deer I was going to eat.  Just use lots of tarps and garbage bags.  And I use a car for hunting, so be sure, I do not want blood going anywhere either.

I just use ducttape for any bad cuts, combined with a pad of sterile gauze.  It is all that seems to stay on me; everything else falls off.

Offline BetaAmyloid

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 08:40:07 PM »
I meant as in like....salt....or some substance, nothing that I would make!

And I use a car for hunting, so be sure, I do not want blood going anywhere either.

Make sure you don't tell the EPA that.  ;D
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought - Albert Szent-Györgyi

Offline 408

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 08:54:58 PM »
I am confused, why would the EPA care that I use a car not a truck?

Offline BetaAmyloid

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 09:05:51 PM »
I am pretty sure the environmental protection agency would rather you not use car or truck, since both are illegal!  ;D

Offline 408

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 01:24:41 AM »
 ::)
To get to the hunting area  ::) and to transport the deer out after ::), not to hunt from  ::)

I don't vehicle hunt :P

BTW the EPA only cares about USA, where not everyone lives...

Offline Gerard

• Mole Snacks: +13/-13
  • "pressure makes diamond"
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 11:57:42 AM »
a anti-clotting drug is quite hard to find that is not harmful when ingested without minor or if possible less side effect to the one consuming the flesh i agree with the use of garbage bag and if i were the hunter id rather go for a utility truck.

Usually wounds of alive animals would clot because the body will respond with the trauma. A combination of active skin and blood cells rush  to the trauma site and clot the open wound. A natural mechanism to prevent blood loss, unless you have taken aspirin or salacylic acid derative drugs.
"Charles! Charles! That's it Mr. Charles Darwin get out of this room, I told you once and I told you twice not to tease your fellow Mr. Arrhenius!"

Offline Polleke

• Mole Snacks: +10/-12
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 12:43:22 PM »
I enjoy going deer hunting, and if any of you guys also go deer hunting, you know the deer in the back of the truck bleeds all over the place. So, my question is:

What could be put in the wound (chemical) that would stop the bleeding and clot the blood vessels of the deer so you don't have to deal with cleaning the truck everytime?

In the same sense, sometimes there are accidents with people during dear hunting, such as scrapes, deep cuts, and rarely bullet holes; so likewise, what would be best to stop the bleeding and clot the bloods vessels of a human being in case of an injury?

Cant you cut open or inflect a wound in one of the main artery and let it bleed out so that most of the blood is gone?
Thats how I know some friends of me do it.

And for human injury: put pressure on the wound, tape it of and if needed: tourniquet.
Sometimes: glue can help oo... but thats only if the wound is not that big nor deep but bleeds very heavely. Its not that healty, but it can do the trick.

Offline bromidewind

• Mole Snacks: +10/-7
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 05:36:13 AM »
When I had time to hunt, we had a bag of sand that we would pour in the wounds to keep them from bleeding. I would assume that cat litter is just as effective at clotting blood that is no longer being pumped.

As for humans, bleeding from small scrapes and cuts can be stopped by putting pressure on the wound, cleaning with alcohol, and putting a bandaid over it. For larger wounds that don't result in internal injuries but are bleeding rather profusely, QuikClot is a commercial product that the military has been using for about ten years. It isn't very effective in deep puncture wounds or gunshot wounds, but it can clot rather large superficial cuts.

I had an incident of carelessness when I was younger where I managed to stab myself in the thigh (a little above my knee) with a hunting knife. It went in about a good inch or so and bled for about an hour. I lifted my leg up above my heart, pushed some cloth into the wound and put a lot of pressure on the wound. I cleaned it out later that evening and taped it up, and now all I have to show for it is a small scar a little less than an inch wide. This would be an instance where a coagulating agent would be useful to help stop the bleeding.

Sponsored Links