April 28, 2024, 07:55:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Stoichiometry  (Read 2670 times)

Offline asadc12

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Stoichiometry
« on: November 23, 2009, 04:18:14 PM »
I am going to do a lab soon, so i need to know how can i produce exactly 2 grams of Ag , Fe or Salt (Na Cl). I need exact volume and weights. What am i supposed to react to create Ag Fe or Salt any hints would be amazing  :)

Offline Olshia

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Re: Stoichiometry
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 05:18:58 PM »
You can easily make Ag with silver nitrate & any aldehyde (like dextrose sugar) this is more effective (nicer looking way) than a similar way to the extraction of iron (just use silver salt instead) => combine any iron salt & a metal higher in the electronegativity series (e.g. Zn), and the salt by reacting any acid & metal (PLEASE do NOT use alkali metals! :-X).

Theoretically speaking for every reaction you will possibly need different quantities of reactants, esp. the last one, where you don't say exactly what kind of salt should it be, because as you should know the amounts in chemistry are usually expressed in moles which have to be then converted to grams.

I am going to tell you what to do to extract iron (sorry I don't have much time to spend on the other reactions, i just find this one the simplest possible!)

Fe(NO3)2 + Zn  :rarrow: Zn(NO3)2 + Fe

You should calculate the molar mass of the iron nitrate Fe + 2xN + 2x3xO = 56 + 2x 14 + 6x 16 = 180g/mole
Therefore if you want to produce exactly 2 grams of Fe (RFM=56) you should use the simple proportion calculation:

If 180g of nitrate gives you 56g of iron
then
Xg of nitrate gives you 2g of iron

Calculate 2x 180 /56 = 6.429g

X=6.429g therefore to make 2 grams of iron you need approx 6.429g of iron nitrate and EXCESS zinc, meaning more than enough (you can calculate the exact amount needed the same way as above [Zn RFM=65g]) and simply add a bit more.

The reaction will be faster if you dissolve the iron nitrate in a small amount of distilled water(all nitrates are v.soluble), so it is quite saturated (not very, but you wouldn't want to put the few grams into a large flask I guess? ::)). You can also heat up the mixture a bit, but I don't recommend continuous stirring, because it looks pretty nice when the coat of metal iron forms on top of the zinc. However you DO have to take off some of the iron coating after some time, so more zinc is exposed to react.

Offline asadc12

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Stoichiometry
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 05:29:08 PM »
wow I didn't think anyone would reply

nicely explained :) I understand the process now, hopefully I wont blow up the class tomorrow
I would hug you but w/e VIRTUAL HUG!!!! also i gave you a snack.
Thank you

Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links