April 25, 2024, 01:07:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hybridization, sigma bond vs. pie bond question  (Read 31639 times)

Offline sam12103

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hybridization, sigma bond vs. pie bond question
« on: November 27, 2009, 07:09:19 PM »
11. What is the hybridization of the carbon atom in the phosgene, Cl2CO? Give a complete description of the sigma and pie bonding in this molecule.

The answer in the back says

For the molecule COCl2: Hybridization of C=sp^2
Bonding:
 1 sigma bond between each chlorine and carbon (sp hybrid orbitals)
1 sigma bond between carbon and oxygen (sp hybrid orbitals)
1 pi bond between carbon and oxygen (p orbital)

I know how the book got the sigma bonds and pi bonds for the answer, but what I don’t understand is how to find out whether or not the sigma or pi bond is a sp hybrid orbital or a p orbital, which is indicated in the parentheses.

Can you please explain to me how to recognize and be able to label what is a sp and p?

Thank you

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Re: Hybridization, sigma bond vs. pie bond question
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 12:54:18 AM »
I think the ones in the first 2 brackets are sp2 hybrid orbitals and not sp hybrid orbitals.
I mean, the carbon is sp2 hybridised. Where did sp hybrid orbitals come from?

The p-orbital part is ok.
Please check these and reply if you don't understand.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline BetaAmyloid

• Mole Snacks: +18/-38
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 01:12:14 AM »
First off, we need to take a look at the molecule.

When we are talking about electrons compared to hybridization, everyone two electrons are equal to one in hybridization.

In the same sense, every two electrons is ONE sigma bond. Every four electrons is TWO sigma bonds and ONE pi bond.
ONE sigma bond is considered s hybridization and TWO sigma bonds and ONE pi bond is considered sp hybridization and so on. Hybridization counts ONLY sigma bonds.

1 sigma bond between each chlorine and carbon (sp hybrid orbitals)
There is ONE sigma bond between EACH (there are TWO - so take that into account) chlorine and carbon. This means there are TWO sigma bonds overall. Every two electrons is one sigma bond. We have four electrons = two sigma bonds. Two sigma bonds means we have sp hybridization. Since, two electrons (one sigma bond) = s; four electrons (two sigma bonds) = sp; six electrons (three sigma bonds) = sp2; and so on.

There is one carbon-oxygen bond. There are two sigma bonds here and one pi bond. AGAIN, We have four electrons = two sigma bonds. Two sigma bonds means we have sp hybridization. Since, two electrons (one sigma bond) = s; four electrons (two sigma bonds) = sp; six electrons (three sigma bonds) = sp2; and so on.

There is one carbon-oxygen bond. There are two sigma bonds here and one pi bond. This time though, they only want to count the PI BOND. One pi bond = p orbital = p hybridization.

DO NOT LISTEN TO SHRODINGER, HE IS WRONG.

Hope this helps.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought - Albert Szent-Györgyi

Offline SigmaBond

• Mole Snacks: +1/-10
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 01:13:56 AM »
Don't listen to Shrodinger...he is wrong.

Cancer Curer is right...good job.

+1 snack

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 04:47:26 AM »
I think the ones in the first 2 brackets are sp2 hybrid orbitals and not sp hybrid orbitals.

I believe what they mean by sp orbitals is not sp orbital as a final effect of hybridization, but rather way of signalling that orbital involved in bonding is one of those coming from spx hybrydization. There are three oribtals able to make sigma bonds in sp2 hybridized carbon - and they refer to them as to sp orbitals, as opposed to s or p. But I see where the confusion comes from.

I would not state so easily you are wrong...
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 04:50:32 AM »
When we are talking about electrons compared to hybridization, everyone two electrons are equal to one in hybridization.

Please elaborate, I have troubles understanding what you mean.

Every four electrons is TWO sigma bonds and ONE pi bond.

The same. Four electrons are not creating three bonds.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 04:57:43 AM »

I believe what they mean by sp orbitals is not sp orbital as a final effect of hybridization, but rather way of signalling that orbital involved in bonding is one of those coming from spx hybrydization. There are three oribtals able to make sigma bonds in sp2 hybridized carbon - and they refer to them as to sp orbitals, as opposed to s or p. But I see where the confusion comes from.

I would not state so easily you are wrong...

Please don't mistake my tone....

I think I'm pretty sure i am right and Cancer Curer made a mess with his explanation.

You do not hybridise C-Cl bonds and C-O bonds separately. Carbon's orbitals are hybridised only once, at the time of bond formation.

We have only 3 sigma bonds totally. Two C-Cl and one C-O, and one pi bond between C and O. Carbon uses 3 sp2 orbitals for bonding with all atoms, as hybrid orbitals are used only for sigma bonding. And the one p-orbital that is free on the Carbon is used for pi-bonding.

Am I right?

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 05:20:33 AM »
You do not hybridise C-Cl bonds and C-O bonds separately. Carbon's orbitals are hybridised only once, at the time of bond formation.

We have only 3 sigma bonds totally. Two C-Cl and one C-O, and one pi bond between C and O. Carbon uses 3 sp2 orbitals for bonding with all atoms, as hybrid orbitals are used only for sigma bonding. And the one p-orbital that is free on the Carbon is used for pi-bonding.

That's exactly how I see it - just remember what I wrote about probable meaning of the "sp" in the books answer, I believe they meant exactly the same.

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 05:27:45 AM »
Thanks. I thought I was wrong and i was scared i had got the basics wrong. Thanks for the reassuring post.
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline cth

• Mole Snacks: +36/-8
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 11:08:38 AM »
Yes, the "Cancer Curer"'s explanation is a mess and full of nonsense.  >:( Obviously, he has limited understanding of what he is writing. A shame.

[...]
In the same sense, every two electrons is ONE sigma bond. Every four electrons is TWO sigma bonds and ONE pi bond.
[...]

There is one carbon-oxygen bond. There are two sigma bonds here and one pi bond.
[...]

There is one carbon-oxygen bond. There are two sigma bonds here and one pi bond.
[...]
You must be kidding me  :o  ???!!!! Are you talking of 3 bonds formed by 4 electrons? This case is extremely rare http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-center_four-electron_bond, and for COCl2, it is certainly not the case.
I have the feeling that you don't realise that a double bond (like the C=O of the example) is made of one sigma bond (along the bond axis) and one pi bond (on the side of the axis) only.

I agree with Schrödinger.

Let's explain hybridisation again:
* An isolated carbon atom possesses four atomic orbitals: 2s, 2px, 2py and 2pz. The 2s is spherical and the 2p have two lobes pointing towards one direction: x, y and z. So, the angles between the 2p orbitals are 90º.
* However, when that carbon atom is place inside a molecule, the angles observed are never 90º. They are closer to: 109.5º, 120º and 180º. In order to explain this difference of angles between the expected 90º and the observed angles, the theory of hybridisation was proposed. It consists in mixing 2s and 2p orbitals together at the beginning to form new sp, sp2 or sp3 orbitals (depending on the case). Then, the angles expected and observed agree (180º for sp, 120º for sp2 and 109.5º for sp3).

The name sp means that the orbital 2s and only one orbital 2p mixed to form two hybridised sp orbitals. As a consequence, two 2p orbitals are left unhybridised and available to make two pi bonds.
The name sp2 means that the one orbital 2s and two orbitals 2p mixed to form three hybridised sp2 orbitals. As a consequence, there is one 2p orbital left unhybridised and available to make one pi bond.

Let's go to the example COCl2:
* The carbon atom is hybridised sp2. It has three orbitals sp2 and one orbital 2pz. It form three sigma bonds with the two Cl and O atoms, using the sp2 orbitals. The 2pz orbital make one pi bond with the oxygen atom.
* The oxygen atom is also hybridised sp2. It has three orbitals sp2 and one orbital 2pz. The sp2 orbitals form one sigma bond with the carbon and contain two lone pairs. The 2pz orbital make one pi bond with the 2pz from the carbon.
* The chlorine atoms are hybridised sp3: it has four orbitals sp3. They are used to make one sigma bond with the carbon and contain three lone pairs.

I know how the book got the sigma bonds and pi bonds for the answer, but what I don’t understand is how to find out whether or not the sigma or pi bond is a sp hybrid orbital or a p orbital, which is indicated in the parentheses.

Can you please explain to me how to recognize and be able to label what is a sp and p?
A pi bond always comes from two p orbitals of two adjacent atoms. It can't arise from one s orbital, it is impossible by symmetry.
Look at that short video of C2H4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2W-yDPcpl4
* In blue colour, you see the pi bond between the two carbon atoms. Notice how it is on the side of the C=C bond, and not directly in between the two C atoms.
* In green colour, you have the carbon sp2 orbitals that form sigma bonds between the C and H atoms. See how the sigma bonds are directly in between the two atoms they are binding.
* In purple, you have the hydrogen 1s orbitals.

Offline cth

• Mole Snacks: +36/-8
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 07:10:37 AM »
Sorry, Cancer Curer, if yesterday I was hard on you in my previous post.

You can make mistakes, someone else will correct them. It's the way to learn and it's OK.
However, when you wrote:
DO NOT LISTEN TO SHRODINGER, HE IS WRONG.
I personally find it unacceptable to dismiss other people like that in order to impose your point of view, no matter how right or wrong it may be. And so, I replied in kind.

Sponsored Links