April 20, 2024, 04:28:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why molten convalently bonded compound cannot conduct electricity?...  (Read 6943 times)

Offline mememehere

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
The moment i saw this qns, what comes up in my mind is that it's non-metal that's why... Basically like this.
But can anyone provide with a more detailed and accurate explanation, including the prescence of free electrons, somewhere around there.

There's another qns, this qns came up in my exam.
sulfuric acid+ metal A= metal dissolves, and colourless inflammable gas evolved- what's metal A, and the gas? It's not oygen.

Then, since transition metal can be anion, i.e negatively charged and positively charged, how can i know whether is it an ionic bond or covalently bonded, or even bonded 'metallically'?
And what are those elements which are ambiguous? i felt so frustrated.. some times they can be positive or negative like hydrogen.:(

Describe in detail, what happens to the bonds when dry hydrogen chloride dissolve in water?

Offline Olshia

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Re: Why molten convalently bonded compound cannot conduct electricity?...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 10:22:18 AM »
Okayyy... First of all: What is the electric current? It is movement of charged species throughout the structure, i.e. ions or electrons(in metals) BUT! They have to be free to move (this is why ionic compounds do not conduct when solid, but do conduct when molten. Coming back to your question: Do covalent compounds have any charged particles? No. The electrons are shared, but NOT transferred from one atom to another, so there is no separate charge. Even if molten, they still do not have any charged particles, so do not conduct.

Next question, let A stand for your 'metal A'

H2SO4 + A  :rarrow: ASO4 + H2 I hope this answers your question.

Ionic bonding is when electrons are transferred from one atom to another, so it doesn't matter if your metal is the anion or cation. This mostly happens when metals are reacted with non-metals or with an acid group (i.e. salts) In covalent bonding the electrons are shared,but NOT transferred, so there are no charged particles. Metallic bonding is basicly an alloy, i.e. 2 or more metals are molten & mixed together.
About the 'ambiguous elements' I think you should just remember the cases when they act not the way they should, so assuming H makes positive ions, metals make positive ions and non-metals & acid groups form negative ions, BUT there are exceptions that you should remember (I guess they would tell you in class which cases you are expected to know).

Finally the last question:
hydrogen chloride DISSOLVES completely in water to form hydrogen ions(+) and chloride ions(-), i.e. hydrochloric acid.

Offline mememehere

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 11:14:59 AM »
for the hydrogen being inflammable gas...can i have a more accurate explanation why hydrogen can make a pop sound?
(i am doing notes)..
and for the anion thingy, what i meant is like, for instance, tin(IV)Bromide...u see, how will you know this is convalently bonded or ionic?

Offline Ranadeep

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
  • I Love Chemistry : )
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 12:55:29 PM »
Movement of ions is also called electric current .. Covalent compounds cannot conduct electricity because the electrons are shared and not transfered as Olshia said .. But what about graphite ? and what about many other covalent compounds like HCL and CH3COOH etc in solution state in which they are ionized  :P :P

Well ..we cannot Generalize anything perfectly in Chemistry ..there are exceptions for everything in it :P .. and while asking about Conducting electricity you need to take care of state,medium,the bonding (Molecular orbital electron clouds, Metallic Bonds ) etc.. 
I am 15 from India and i like doing chemistry

Offline Olshia

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 01:44:44 PM »
It is movement of charged species throughout the structure, i.e. ions or electrons

@Ranadeep I also mentioned the ions x)
And graphite has delocalised electrons. Three e- of each C atom are bonded covalently and the last e- is free to move. About HCl or carboxylic acid, they are covalent, but they ionise when is solution, so if you have HCl(g), then it is covalent, if HCl(aq) it is in solution, and therefore ionised, and that's why it conducts electricity - because of the ions present. It is the same with carboxylic acid, the H atom from -COOH group is ionised to form H+ and -COO-.

You only need to know if there are any charged particles that can carry the electric current, let's not make it more complicated than it actually is.

@mememehere
It's just the way it is, H2 makes a 'pop' sound when burned, because it is characteristic for this gas, it's the same with oxygen, relighting glowing splint, chlorine turns wet indicator paper red and then bleaches it, these are the tests for specific gases to allow you to know what you are dealing with.
It's like you would ask us why is the sky blue. Of course there is a [complicated] explanation, but you don't have to understand it to tell the difference between the sea and the sky, you follow my drift?

It would probably be ionic, because it is a compound made of a metal and a non-metal. two non-metals make covalent molecules and mixed metals form alloys (metallic bonding). Is that what you mean?
I know tin is the semi-metal, but if you look at its melting & boiling point you can tell it's pretty high, meaning it has to be some sort of lattice. Also if you check for conductivity, it will tell you the difference between covalent and ionic networks, covalent will not conduct and ionic will conduct when molten. I hope this helps.

Offline mememehere

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 10:37:38 PM »
Ok.. i see... so whether is the transition metal 'ionically' bonded or covelently bonded, in exam, the infos will be given right?

Offline vishwa

• Very New Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 11:25:45 AM »
to conduct electricity there should be free electrons or ions..but in convalent compounds there are no electrons nor ions to carry charges

Offline Olshia

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 01:06:37 PM »
Ok.. i see... so whether is the transition metal 'ionically' bonded or covelently bonded, in exam, the infos will be given right?

Well I guess there will be SOME info that can help you figure out the bonding, like melting or boiling points and conductivity info. But I cannot say for sure because I live in the UK, so  don't know much about US exams. I know we have a data booklet that gives all the helpful info, if you have anything like that, then you will be fine as long as you know where to look for (in the booklet(?)).
It's quite sure you don't have to know all the possibilities by heart, just the obvious ones, so if you don't get any info you can tell anyway like carbon dioxide or brass or sodium chloride.
ionic (...) is a compound made of a metal and a non-metal. two non-metals make covalent molecules and mixed metals form alloys (metallic bonding).
This is what you HAVE to know by heart, but if you get anything more ambiguous, you will get some data to help you figure out the bonding.

Sponsored Links