April 19, 2024, 08:18:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: radical bromination of 2 methylbutane  (Read 10147 times)

Offline xstetsonx

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
radical bromination of 2 methylbutane
« on: November 29, 2009, 02:47:16 PM »
why would radical bromination of 2 methylbutane gives 1-bromo-3-methylbutane, 2-bromo-3-methylbutane, 3-bromo-3-methylbutane, and 1-bromo-2-methylbutane???? i don't see any methyl shife in this reaction. Some one plz help

Offline nameless

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Re: radical bromination of 2 methylbutane
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 03:43:47 PM »
free radicals are very reactive so u have to look at the possible places that it can attack during the propagation step of the free radical reaction. It could potentially pull off a hydrogen atom off of each carbon resulting in the products that you mention. There isnt a methyl shift. i hope this somewhat clear.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 05:45:43 PM »
I like this question a lot. I hadn't thought of it before. I just assumed the reaction occurred to give the most stable radical upon abstraction. Does any know of any isotope effects or labeling studies that prove an electron + proton is not removed from one of the primary carbons and there is an electron + proton shift?
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline xstetsonx

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 06:07:15 PM »
okay i am totally confuse. so there is a H shift? i though shift can only happen when you have a cabocation.... this one is a radical.

Offline xstetsonx

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 06:11:25 PM »
i get 1 bromo 2 methly butane....how come the "answer" i found it is 1 bromo 3 methly butane?

Offline stewie griffin

• Mole Snacks: +61/-7
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 08:47:49 PM »
I agree with nameless. Usually the idea is that you form the most stable radical (as orgopete said) which would be the tertiary radical which would give you the 3-bromo-3-methylbutane. That's usually the point of these types of questions. However, if the question is to list all possible products, then you have to go nameless' route and look at each C-H bond that can be broken to give a unique product. Some of the C-H bonds will lead to the same product (the three C-H's of a methyl group on the end of the chain for example). If you work through each C-H cleavage, you find out that you can have four unique constitutional isomers.
BTW, of those four possible constitutional isomers, the 1-bromo-2-methylbutane and the 1-bromo-3-methylbutane are products. So I don't think that you're wrong... you just haven't listed all of the products.

Sponsored Links