April 26, 2024, 07:12:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: stability of carbocation will determine the speed of reaction, in this case does  (Read 6578 times)

Hubert

stability of carbocation will determine the speed of reaction, in this case does thecarbocation refer to the number of carbon bonded to it or the number of halogen bonded to it??

Offline Winga

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-10
Usually, the formation of carbocation is the rate determine step.

What case? ???

Carbocation should be the whole molecular ion which there is a carbon atom with six outermost electrons.

Hubert

i was meaning that the stabiltiy of the carbocation for alkyl halides, depends on the number of carbon or halogens attached to it? for example they say tertiary carbocation...are they are they referrin to the three carbon attached to them or the 3 halogen attached to it? thanks fer replyin

ericandrews

tertiary carbocation has 3 other carbons attached to it. secondary 2 carbons, primary = 1 other carbon. stability goes like this 3 > 2 > 1. The other carbons act as electron sinks helping share the positive charge.

nkaspirin

Generally speaking, the more carbon connectting to the carbocation, the stablility is higher, because of the Electron-donating effect.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 01:15:47 PM by nkaspirin »

Offline Winga

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-10
Remind you that the stabilizing effect is due to hyperconjugation but not inductive effect.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Remind you that the stabilizing effect is due to hyperconjugation but not inductive effect.

Winga is dead-on. Scooby Snack awarded.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Hubert

what u mean by inductive effect? electron donatin effect? And what u meant by hyperconjugation? now i am even more confused...

Sponsored Links