April 25, 2024, 11:06:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Calculating molar mass from titration runs.  (Read 2786 times)

Offline Ryumexicano

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Calculating molar mass from titration runs.
« on: November 15, 2014, 03:31:43 AM »
Hi guys.  Thank you for all the help that you guys always give.  I love this forum.

I have a question.  Recently we did an experiment on the synthesis of Aspirin, using oil of winter green. 
I have most of my calculations for a worksheet except a part where I am required to calculate the molar mass of Salicylic Acid based on three repeated titrations. I am supposed to take the average of the three titrations I did.

I have no idea how to go about calculating molar mass of Salicylic Acid and Aspirin from the titrations I did.  For the titrations I did, all I have is masses of the samples I used (both for SA and Aspirin) and the difference in volume of NaOH used to titrate that mass.  How can I find the molar mass of SA and Aspirin? I am supposed to average the three runs and get a representative molar mass and also I am required a RAD in ppth.  Any help?

Second question: My actual crude of Aspirin was bigger than the theoretical yield I calculated, giving me a 112 percent yield of crude which makes no sense, of course.  What could possibly be reasons for this? I know this would be a lot of errors.  We did 4 days of lab work on this and I am sure that I made some errors.  I am not chemist by no means.   ???

I really appreciate the help. Thank you so much!
I have attached a picture of the data I have for the titrations:  I don't know where to start to calculate molar mass of Aspirin and Salicylic Acid.  Could you guys show me a sample calculation for one of the runs, please? Thank you!!!  :)

Note:  I used a standard 0.114 M NaOH

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Calculating molar mass from titration runs.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 07:14:46 AM »
You've made a number of posts, so I feel its OK to make a suggestion to you.  Type out, into this forum, your question.  Scanned pages are necessary for structures and the like, but typing out, your information onto this forum will help you organize your information for your own benefit.  And your photos are awful -- perspective shots of blue ink on blue quad ruled pages is just awful.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links