April 29, 2024, 01:30:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: looking for fun with Acetic acid  (Read 15671 times)

Offline uudens

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
looking for fun with Acetic acid
« on: December 05, 2009, 06:43:18 AM »
I've been trying to find interesting reactions or things to make with acetic acid.
can i dissolve stuff? explosives? substances with cool properties? any keywords i should search for in google?
preferably something other than watching the fizz at baking soda + vinegar :)

Thanks!

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: looking for fun with Acetic acid
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 09:13:03 AM »
although we are fairly open here we do not discuss explosives
see forum rules

Offline csrscience.com

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
    • CSR Science
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 04:09:36 PM »
You can use it to make many different metal salts, decarboxylation of acetate leads to methane, electrolysis of acetate produces ethane among other things such as methanol, and CO2, forming esters with acetic acid and an alcohol makes decent solvents. ethyl acetate is used as a fingernail polish remover, and some other ones can smell of bananas, most acetate esters smell fruity. Reacting the ester with a conc. solution of ammonia can produce acetamide, which might be useful for a few things, but I think it is toxic...

Acetic acid with iron or other reactive metals will produce hydrogen, which can be used for reductions... etc etc

Lots of things you can do... what sort of things are you interested in? What would you like to know more about? I can try to find some other interesting things for you w/ references...

Also sodium acetate can be produced and that forms a supersatured solution easily and can turn the liquid into a solid brick releasing a lot of heat -- check out videos for solid ice...

http://www.csrscience.com/
Mushroom Grow Supplies, Laboratory Equipment, Seeds.

Filter Pump Aspirator - Cheap - Humboldt

Click Here to get 10% Discount

Offline uudens

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 08:13:40 AM »
Thanks IndieSci!
The reason im asking this is that in my country they are banning vinegar essence aka very concentrated vinegar (70%) from grocery stores because kids drink it and seriously damage their throats, so i want to buy it because i won't be able to any more, starting january :)
since its a strong acid (yes, i have felt it on my face before hahah) i thought there might be something interesting to react it with so i would have a thing to do and film it and post on youtube.

Right now i'm thinking i might try using it on metals to get H2 or pouring it on things on the street and watching. I don't have lab access so it's hard for me to get any other more or less uncommon chemicals to react this with to more complicated stuff.

Offline csrscience.com

• CSR Science
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
That is very sad they are outlawing! They don't sell it in America.. so it seems and I really wish I had access to it with out buying from a chemical supplier. Acetic acid is one of those compounds that is very useful. I suggest to buy it, and use it only when needed.

I'd be very interested in seeing some of the experiments you do, and wouldn't mind a video, or any other post or two on my site from you. :)

Offline baboom

• Mole Snacks: +0/-9
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 04:44:10 PM »
Why would they drink that?  ???

Careful of the fumes. Experiments are meant for the labs... you can seriously hurt yourself!
BABOOM!! :o

Offline uudens

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 04:49:14 PM »
hahah IndieSci you might have just made my mind :D i'll buy a few bottles :)

baboom, you are wrong, experiments are not made for labs. labs are made for experiments :)
kids drink it because they don't understand and think it's water.

Offline csrscience.com

• CSR Science
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 11:55:56 PM »
"experiments are not made for labs. labs are made for experiments" -- Did you just come up with this? I really enjoy that quote!

best of luck, by the way!

Offline baboom

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 01:22:37 PM »
baboom, you are wrong, experiments are not made for labs. labs are made for experiments

Yes you are right. But it depends on what you think a lab is ;D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 02:01:48 PM by baboom »

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 02:05:53 PM »
You do realize before the last 50 years much chemistry was done not in magic university labs where everything suddenly becomes safe?

Goodyear discovered vulcanization of rubber on his kitchen stove.
The Curies did everything in their shed.
Nobel did his experiments on a boat.
Hall process for refining Al was discovered in Hall's shed

Anywhere where an experiment can be conducted is a lab, and they can be conducted perfectly well outside academic or industrial labs with appropriate precautions.

No difference between a garage fume hood and one in a university.

Moreover, there are no laws about conducting chemistry outside a university lab.  There are often bylaws regarding chemical storage and fire code provisions, but these are not criminal matters(ie not illegal).  One only crosses into illegal area if one were to experiment with explosives, drugs, or chemical weapons, and probably some pesticides too.

So if a lab at home is safe, secure, and I have just shown you it is legal, it is indeed a lab.

I have no reservations telling you that those sorts of opinions are killing the interest the younger generation has in chemistry and science.

with love,

Offline cth

• Mole Snacks: +36/-8
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 03:26:37 PM »
Goodyear discovered vulcanization of rubber on his kitchen stove.
The Curies did everything in their shed.
Nobel did his experiments on a boat.
Hall process for refining Al was discovered in Hall's shed

True, most chemical reactions can be done in a garage. But the problems come when one wants to characterise the products of reaction. In organic chemistry, for example: you need NMR, IR spectrometer, mass spectrometry, elemental analysis,... Most of those equipments are hell expensive! Only big research centres can afford them.

Nowadays, I don't see any important research discovery, like the ones you mentioned, achieved from home experiments.

Offline baboom

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 04:22:42 PM »
why are you getting so mad at me, when all you are doing is proving what I just said.  A lab depends on what you think it is. Anyways, these people didn't know what they where dealing with in the first place. If Curie thought  that the material was hazardous to her health, she would never have conducted the experiment in her shed...or do anything with it at all.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 06:05:59 PM »
It was in regards to your post prior to editing where you implied a home lab to be illegal and unsafe.

Offline csrscience.com

• CSR Science
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 09:51:44 PM »
Anyways, these people didn't know what they where dealing with in the first place. If Curie thought  that the material was hazardous to her health, she would never have conducted the experiment in her shed...or do anything with it at all.

What about goodyear, or the others mentioned? And how can you be sure Curie wouldn't have anyways?

Also I'd like to point out that accidents happen everywhere, universities, industry, etc.

Most of those equipments are hell expensive! Only big research centres can afford them.

Luckily, you can pay people to test chemicals for you, if you know where to look, so I don't really see this as making much of a point at all.

Offline baboom

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 03:08:09 AM »
It was in regards to your post prior to editing where you implied a home lab to be illegal and unsafe.
I was hoping no once saw it lol. It was rude of me to post that comment...thats why I edited it  :-[

P.S. Hmmm... well she died from over expsore to radioactive substances, so unless she had a death wish....I DON"T THINK SO!!!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 03:43:43 AM by baboom »

Sponsored Links