April 28, 2024, 09:35:54 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: looking for fun with Acetic acid  (Read 15670 times)

Offline lunar eclipse

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: looking for fun with Acetic acid
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 07:32:08 PM »
I wish I knew a fun, safe experiment with acetic acid.  The only one I know is vinegar and baking soda (volcano) which isn't too exciting since kids in elementary school do that.  My only other experience is we used to use glacial acetic acid to extract THC out of urine samples so they could be read on the GC/MS. 

Offline csrscience.com

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
    • CSR Science
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 10:18:38 PM »
People smoke and do all sorts of things they know are bad for them, and science can be an obsession so eh why not? Neither of us know her.

lunar, what sort of experiment or project is fun to you?
http://www.csrscience.com/
Mushroom Grow Supplies, Laboratory Equipment, Seeds.

Filter Pump Aspirator - Cheap - Humboldt

Click Here to get 10% Discount

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 12:43:38 PM »
Acetate salts can be made using acetic acid, the metal, and peroxide.

Offline lunar eclipse

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 07:42:40 PM »
To answer your question Indie I don't really do a lot of fun experiments I guess. My experience with chemistry has come from working at forensic and environmental labs (I majored in Biology).  I do enjoy my work very much but what I do probably wouldn't "wow" anybody.
To get back on subject I did think of an experiment with acetic acid though.  You can oxidize pennies with it in a solution of H202 (hydrogen peroxide) and acetic acid.  If you let the solution sit there for awhile and evaporate you get blue copper acetate crystals.  Or you can drop other metals in the solution such as Fe, Zn, or Pb and they will become plated with copper.  So you can copper-plate a quarter if you wanted to.  The reason this happens is because those metals are above Cu on the metal activity series, so the metals atoms will replace the Cu ions in the solution.  For example for Iron:
Fe(s) + Cu(II)(aq) = Fe(II)(aq) + Cu(s)

Offline baboom

• Mole Snacks: +0/-9
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 10:43:22 PM »
People smoke and do all sorts of things they know are bad for them, and science can be an obsession so eh why not? Neither of us know her.
Suicide is an obsession and a science all in one! 
BABOOM!! :o

Sponsored Links