April 18, 2024, 08:24:03 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Stoichiometry Equation with Carbon Dioxide  (Read 9784 times)

Robbie91

Stoichiometry Equation with Carbon Dioxide
« on: July 08, 2005, 04:44:10 AM »
Hey guys!....I'm so excited to fine a page like this! :o ...no one here in my house has any idea how to do this problem...

Here is my problem I'm trying to work on:

"Given the equation 2CO + O2 ---> 2CO2, how many grams of carbon dioxide form if 17 grams of carbon monoxide are combined with excess oxygen?"

So I know that CO2 (carbon dioxide) weighs 44 grams, the equation has two - so that makes it 88 grams.  So I just subtracted 17 from 88 and got 71.  One of my answers I can choose from is "72.5", my question is - does the difference matter...and where did my other 1 and a half grams go?

Thanks....any help is really appreciated!

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
Re:Stoichiometry Equation with Carbon Dioxide
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 05:36:32 AM »
stoichiometric reactions deal with molarity, so the values given are in moles, not mass.

eg. 2 moles of CO are oxidised with 1 mole of oxygen to produce 2 moles of carbon dioxide, not grams.

now the molar mass of CO2 indeed is 44, so u have to find the moles of CO2. but first of couse, u'll have to find the moles of CO. this can be done by dividing 17 by the Mr of CO.

the value that u have obtained is also the moles of CO2, because in the reaction they have the same number of moles, and there's no reason why it should be different. now u can find the mass of CO2 by multiplying the moles by its Mr.
one learns best by teaching

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 06:32:19 AM »
stoichiometric reactions deal with molarity, so the values given are in moles, not mass.

I think Robbie refers to the proportional reasoning which is another approach to stoichiometry calculations:

2CO + O2 -> 2CO2
56g + 32g -> 88g
17g + x     -> y

56:17 = 88:y (solve for y)

or

56:17 = 32:x (solve for x)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 06:33:36 AM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 07:38:56 AM »
Good explanation Borek...it's being able to think like that that can make highschool chemistry a breeze...and everybody else is thinking, "How do you do this" and the people getting good marks just say, "Think about it" when they're looking for a method they can memorize.   It's quicker to do and you feel better if you know what you're doing.

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 10:43:51 AM »
in which case, subtraction/addition should not be present as it would not fit in the ratios.
one learns best by teaching

Robbie91

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 12:27:22 AM »
Thanks Borek!---the ratios make so much sense!!!

Sponsored Links