April 20, 2024, 04:36:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Calculating Bond Energy  (Read 7736 times)

Offline Jules18

• Mole Snacks: +0/-3
Calculating Bond Energy
« on: December 07, 2009, 11:32:53 PM »
Hey guys, this is my question.
I have almost no idea how to tackle it, so if you can help me at all I'll be forever in your debt.

An unknown gas, X2(g), which behaves much like N2(g), is analysed and the following enthalpies of formation are obtained;

Gas         delta(Hf)

X(g)        441 kJ/mol
H(g)        216 kJ/mol
X2H4(g)     321 kJ/mol

We also know that the X-H bond energy is 323 kJ/mol. Use this information to estimate the X-X single-bond energy. (ans in kJ/mol.)

(is it a typo that the first two gases don't have a subscript of 2, like they do in the preamble?)

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Calculating Bond Energy
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 02:05:03 AM »
(is it a typo that the first two gases don't have a subscript of 2, like they do in the preamble?)

No, I don't think so - recall that for N2 (and indeed any element in its natural state at standard conditions) the  :delta: Hf is 0, so this most likely refers to the reaction 1/2 X2 (g) :rarrow: X (g) having a heat of formation as quoted.

Can you write a series of equations that lead you from X2 and H2 in terms of known and unknown bond energies?

Offline Jules18

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 12:08:20 AM »
mmm... I tried one equation:

X2 + H2 --> X2H4

... do I need more?  am I sounding totally clueless right now?  :P 

I'm having trouble understanding why the question gives me information about enthalpies of formation when it wants me to give it a bond enthalpy.  How do I use Hf to get an Hº of a rxn?

please help ?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 03:01:10 AM »
mmm... I tried one equation:

X2 + H2 --> X2H4

... do I need more?  am I sounding totally clueless right now?  :P 

I'm having trouble understanding why the question gives me information about enthalpies of formation when it wants me to give it a bond enthalpy.  How do I use Hf to get an Hº of a rxn?

please help ?

Well, for starters your equation needs to be balanced, so that will be X2 + 2 H2  :rarrow: X2H4.

So you're breaking 1 x X~X bond (I have indicated the bond here as a ~ as you don't have, or need the actual bond order), and 2 H-H bonds, which will form 2 X and 4 H, and you know that from X2 and 2H2 you have the energy for the process that forms your product. How many X~X bonds are there in your product? How many X-H bonds?

Offline savy2020

• Mole Snacks: +7/-9
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 02:46:34 PM »
First recall the structure of N2H4{which would be same as that of X2H4} . What I mean by structure is how many N-H bonds and how many H-H bonds.
Now after that just recall that a molecule is formed from atoms due to formation of chemical bonds between the atoms-a process with releases energy. The energy released in forming a bond is called bond energy.
In the reverse process breaking a bond requires energy.

If you just take 2 X atoms and 4 H atoms and then form (?) X-H bonds and (?)X-X bonds then the energy change for such an equation is same as the total of the energy released by all the bond formations.

(?) It's for you to find out how many bonds are there  ;D
:-) SKS

Offline Jules18

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 04:11:54 PM »
Well, for starters your equation needs to be balanced, so that will be X2 + 2 H2  :rarrow: X2H4.

So you're breaking 1 x X~X bond (I have indicated the bond here as a ~ as you don't have, or need the actual bond order), and 2 H-H bonds, which will form 2 X and 4 H, and you know that from X2 and 2H2 you have the energy for the process that forms your product. How many X~X bonds are there in your product? How many X-H bonds?

Okay ... I've drawn that out.  There are 4 X-H bonds and one X-X bond in X2H4.  I get that.  but I'm still stuck

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 04:48:56 PM »
OK, so from X2H4 to 2X + 4H you're breaking 1 X-X bond, and 4 X-H bonds. How much energy is that?

You can also do this via X2H4  :rarrow: X2 + 2H2  :rarrow: 2X + 4H, for which you have the energies in your question. Hess' law says that these two ways are the same energy, so equate the two expressions, and solve for the energy of the X-X bond.

Sponsored Links