April 23, 2024, 09:13:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Redox rxn, heating necessary to inititate rxn and acid problems.  (Read 4060 times)

Offline mememehere

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Redox rxn, heating necessary to inititate rxn and acid problems.
« on: December 09, 2009, 11:29:59 AM »
Ok. I thought about this probelm today. Here's an example.
K2Cr2O7[acidified potassium dichromate ( A.P.D.)]+ Fe(II)SO4 (1st qns: what will be the resultant colour of the mixture of the reactants?)=___________________(2nd qns: what will be the product? I know that A.P.D has been reduced, from orange colour to green, then iron2 being oxidised to iron3. I don't know how to write out the product's formula. )

Next, 3rd when is heating needed to initiate a reaction? displacement rxn requires them, and why or why not? 

Last but not least, ( k i really hate this part cuz i may not get a straightforward ans, i know) acid.
With the same concentration of the following acids, H3PO4, H2SO4 and HCL, which one is the strongest acid?
Looking at a different perspective, we can saay that H3PO4 is the strongest cuz it's tribasic. However, we can also say that HCL is strong cuz it will dissociate fully into ions. So, please, can anyone help clear these really frustrating doubts of mine?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Redox rxn, heating necessary to inititate rxn and acid problems.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 02:02:54 AM »
Read any textbook chapter on redox reaction! Search internet!
AWK

Offline mememehere

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 06:34:34 AM »
I read em' all. These are my doubts. ::)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 06:49:29 AM »
I know that A.P.D has been reduced, from orange colour to green, then iron2 being oxidised to iron3. I don't know how to write out the product's formula.

You have two products and you have already listed them. Just write their formulas.

Next, 3rd when is heating needed to initiate a reaction? displacement rxn requires them, and why or why not?

It is not true that displacement reactions need heat. It is all about kinetics.

Last but not least, ( k i really hate this part cuz i may not get a straightforward ans, i know) acid.
With the same concentration of the following acids, H3PO4, H2SO4 and HCL, which one is the strongest acid?
Looking at a different perspective, we can saay that H3PO4 is the strongest cuz it's tribasic. However, we can also say that HCL is strong cuz it will dissociate fully into ions. So, please, can anyone help clear these really frustrating doubts of mine?

And you will get the same answer you got last time - this question, as posted, can't be answered, as long as you don't define what exactly you mean by "stronger acid". Repeating the question won't help.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links