April 29, 2024, 12:19:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Published Papers  (Read 13529 times)

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
Published Papers
« on: July 05, 2005, 02:22:08 PM »
Has anybody here actually been 'published' - had a scientific document printed in a journal, or anything like that?

Just a question.  I'm in the process of writing one for a chromatography journal...and I'm wondering if 'published' scientists are few-and-far-between or more common than [insert analogy here]

arnyk

Re:Published Papers
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 02:52:05 PM »
If you know where to look there are tons of journals.  But don't expect to swing by Chapter's and see an entire section dedicated to these guys.

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 03:16:47 PM »
If you are a third year undergraduate student, getting published is rare.  From my experiences, I would say about 3-5 % of undergraduate students are co-authors on an academic paper.  There is an informal expectation that you will publish at least 1-2 journal articles or patents when you go to graduate school.  I would estimate that 95 % of the people coming out of a graduate program have at least one publication.  What I remember about the process is passing the documents to my advisor about 10 times.  After 10 iterations of him correcting my grammar and word selection, it basically went full-circle and wound up exactly the same as I had handed it to him on the first iteration.  The formalities are even worse when you write patents for a company.  I think a coauthor and I must have sent 20 iterations to a company lawyer.    

Congratulations.  Technical writing is a very useful skill, so learn what you can from the experience.  A publication will also strengthen your resume and increase your opportunity to get a research-based job or into graduate school.  

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 04:41:54 PM »
My first paper (from the work I did as an undergrad) just came out in print about two weeks ago.  Very exciting.  My first paper from my work in grad. school has been submitted, but we haven't heard back about whether it has been accepted yet.

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 07:54:55 PM »
movies, I wish you luck...I noticed that most of the papers I read had been in scientific limbo for like, 3 or 6 months - gotta be a little annoying

Dude, thanks for the info - those are the figures I was fishing for  ;D

arnyk

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 08:39:28 PM »
What about my "Chapter's" analogy?  :'(

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 10:38:59 PM »
I've gotten one piece of work I've done published.  It's in the Journal of Chemical Physics at some point in the year 2001.  (I can't remember the exact issue at the moment).  The title is "Photoisomerization of green fluorescent protein and the dimensions of the chromophore cavity."  It was some computational research that I helped out with the summer after my freshman year of college, and the professor actually used my name as one of the authors, so I can say that I have been published.   ;D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 02:46:36 AM »
My first paper was published in 1976 in Tetrahedron Letters, first patent in 1978.
This year, up today, 3 publications have appeared.
AWK

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 04:16:21 AM »
Monte Carlo simulation of diffusional noise at  microelectrodes.

It was so long ago that without googling I am not even able to tell where it was published... Later I was a journalist so I have published a lot but not in the scientific papers ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 06:20:58 AM »
without googling, with COPERNIC-ing instead::
M Borkowski, Z. Stojek, Electroanalysis, 4(1992)615-22. Monte Carlo simulation of diffusional noise at microelectrodes.

AWK

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 11:02:15 AM »
Wow...lots of diversity in this forum...chromophores, microelectrodes...and that Monte Carlo simulation, I've heard the phrase a few times this week...what's up with that? lol...Congrats all on any papers you have published

P.S. arnyk, I remember typing out a paragraph saying something like, "Yeah, scientific papers are usually WAY too specific for Chapters...and the people who shop at chapters generally don't go there for science reason :P)" -- I don't know where it went, but I blame... technology.  That, and the comeback of Mariah Carey (where did THAT come from?) lol...

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 12:24:04 PM »
Woohoo!  I just found out that my second paper got accepted!

Drinks all around!

:beerchug:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 12:24:34 PM by movies »

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005, 01:35:47 PM »
Congratulations!  This calls for some kind of celebration...I'll go drinking tonight (in your honour of course  ;D ) :cheers2:

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2005, 09:00:27 PM »
that Monte Carlo simulation, I've heard the phrase a few times this week...what's up with that?

Monte Carlo methods... basically it means that you use random number generator to draw the results. Then yo have just to filter out all these that don't support your theory ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

KC

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 08:33:10 AM »
Congrats, Movies!
I don't know what that feels like yet, as I am finishing writing up my first one right now. I hope to get the same good news soon. :)

Sponsored Links