April 26, 2024, 03:25:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: reapply for chemistry grad school  (Read 5968 times)

Offline ptsd

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
reapply for chemistry grad school
« on: January 03, 2010, 04:16:15 PM »
I was admitted to the chemistry grad program at one school in the east coast.  Due to some reasons, I am now for sure that I am dropping out because my GPA is horrible.  I failed one of the class.  However, the environment at this school is just terrible.  Obviously, I made such a wrong choice to come here.  Anyways, I still want to be a grad student again at a different institution.  I found a school that I like.  It's University of Sciences in Philadelphia.  I am preparing for my application by now.  However, due to my bad record in my graduate school, do you think I should mention it on my statement of purpose?  Would there be a chance for me to be admitted?  My undergrad GPA was good (3.6) and I also coauthored publication in undergraduate.  But I am still very worried about the chance of being accepted.  Would anyone please give me some advices?  Thanks so much

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
Re: reapply for chemistry grad school
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 01:50:39 PM »
My advice is be honest.

If you leave out any mention of this graduate program, someone will spot the gap in the timeline which then brings out the question "why is there a gap?", "does the candidate have some thing to hide?"

Also, be careful when you put forward your reasons for dropping out. I would avoid direct criticism of the institution or specific people, academia can be a tight-knit community and word gets around.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
If it is just a year don't mention it. How could they find out?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline rajan

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 01:42:12 AM »
a small school like the one you mentioned might pay attention to your application rather closely. they might be more forgiving also, especially if you admit your mistakes and seem to have grown. your best bet is to email a couple of professors and stimulate their interest in you, so that they just push through your application. if you don't get in the first time, suggest that you can volunteer in a lab on campus for a month or two before you actually enroll.

Sponsored Links