March 29, 2024, 07:17:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Equivalent Weight Phosphoric Acid  (Read 23650 times)

Offline xe phantom

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Equivalent Weight Phosphoric Acid
« on: December 12, 2009, 04:40:00 AM »
I understand that the equivalent weight of an acid is equal to the molecular weight divided by the basicity. By this definition Phosphoric acid should have an equivalent weight of 98/3 = 32.67 but standard methods (such as the one given in US pharmacopeia) state the equivalent weight to be 49. I tried searching for exceptions but couldn't find any reason. Any help/explanation would be great!

xe

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Re: Equivalent Weight Phosphoric Acid
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 06:56:48 AM »
There is more than one phosphoric acid. (ortho, meta)

If you are talking about H3PO4 :
Equivalent weight of a compound mainly depends on the rxn that it undergoes.
You cannot expect orthophosphoric acid (H3PO4) to be tribasic always. There will be certain rxns where it releases only 2 H+ ions.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline xe phantom

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 07:27:45 AM »
There is more than one phosphoric acid. (ortho, meta)

If you are talking about H3PO4 :
Equivalent weight of a compound mainly depends on the rxn that it undergoes.
You cannot expect orthophosphoric acid (H3PO4) to be tribasic always. There will be certain rxns where it releases only 2 H+ ions.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

You're correct about the varying number of H+ ions released depending on the reaction but what I want to know is what equivalent weight to assume in a simple acid base reaction with let's say Sodium Hydroxide. A reference literature indicating corresponding equivalents for different reactions would be great!

Cheers

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 07:31:38 AM »

And that's the correct answer. pKa3 = 12.35.

You're correct about the varying number of H+ ions released depending on the reaction but what I want to know is what equivalent weight to assume in a simple acid base reaction with let's say Sodium Hydroxide.

Define "simple acid base reaction". Third dissociation constant is so low you will not observe third end point in water titration.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline xe phantom

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 10:56:45 AM »

And that's the correct answer. pKa3 = 12.35.

You're correct about the varying number of H+ ions released depending on the reaction but what I want to know is what equivalent weight to assume in a simple acid base reaction with let's say Sodium Hydroxide.

Define "simple acid base reaction". Third dissociation constant is so low you will not observe third end point in water titration.

I think I got it. Thanks!

Sponsored Links