March 19, 2024, 12:01:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: REMOVAL ADHESIVE POLYCARBONATE PLASTIC  (Read 22629 times)

Offline aces27

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
REMOVAL ADHESIVE POLYCARBONATE PLASTIC
« on: December 15, 2009, 08:58:21 AM »
Hello Guys ,

What do you think would be the most effective , quick and most importantly cost-effective way to remove the
labels and glue adhesive from the common polycarbonate 5 gallon - 20 litre Water Jars.

Consider Sulphuric acid , please suggest the concentration or a specific type / alternate.

[/URL]img]

TKS

Offline typhoon2028

• Mole Snacks: +18/-12
Re: REMOVAL ADHESIVE POLYCARBONATE PLASTIC
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 10:12:23 AM »
Try IPA

Offline gluedudeguru

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 07:20:40 AM »
Try a solvent, MEK or Acetone.  They also make something called "vinyl off".  That stuff seemed to work real well.

Offline doc30

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 11:45:25 AM »
Try a solvent, MEK or Acetone.  They also make something called "vinyl off".  That stuff seemed to work real well.
MEK and acetone will attack/dissolve polycarbonate. Alcohols are better choice.

Offline bromidewind

• Mole Snacks: +10/-7
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 10:17:03 AM »
Goo-Gone is the best commercial product that I know of. It readily dissolves just about anything sticky or greasy. I've also used common naptha lighter fluid. Not only does it remove the stickers, but it also gets rid of the sticky residue and polishes up your jug a little bit. Another option is to just use plain hot tap water. My tap water usually runs around 110°F, so it won't melt the plastic. Run hot water over the surface, peel off the stickers, then scrub the residue off with a plastic scouring pad (don't use metal, it'll scratch). It's not the quickest method, but it will do the job, plus it's extremely cheap.

Offline Quaff

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 01:39:06 PM »
isoamyl acetate

Offline kcr357

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 10:03:49 PM »
Motocross guys(aka me 5 years ago) used a product to remove graphics called "sticker off".  Its available at motorcycle shops and online.  SO far I have never used anything more effective.  DOn't know how many you are doing, it may not fit into the cost effective part of your equation.  A heat gun will also make quick work of stickers and usually the adhesive will come off with the sticker, but its not as "sexy" a solution as using exotic chemicals.  ;D
Hello Guys ,

What do you think would be the most effective , quick and most importantly cost-effective way to remove the
labels and glue adhesive from the common polycarbonate 5 gallon - 20 litre Water Jars.

Consider Sulphuric acid , please suggest the concentration or a specific type / alternate.

[/URL]img]

TKS

Offline bromidewind

• Mole Snacks: +10/-7
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 11:05:20 AM »
A heat gun will also make quick work of stickers and usually the adhesive will come off with the sticker, but its not as "sexy" a solution as using exotic chemicals.

Heat guns also tend to melt plastic if pointed at them for too long. PET is probably the plastic used in the water jugs, which melts at around 250 degrees celsius. Maybe a very low heat heat gun would work, but prolonged exposure would probably still melt it.

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 12:27:58 PM »
I rekon Typhoon has the best bet here  -  try wiping with IPA.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Sponsored Links