March 28, 2024, 07:52:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: PMMA powder  (Read 22746 times)

Offline lag

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
PMMA powder
« on: July 10, 2008, 09:43:20 AM »
Hi,
I would like to cast a thin layer of PMMA PolyMethylMetAcrylate on a silicon mold. I bought a commercial PMMA in powder, and I found a recipe to dissolve it in toluene (2% w/w). Does anybody know a different, but effective, recipe?
Thanks a lot!
bye!
lag

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
Re: PMMA powder
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 03:44:57 AM »
You could spin it out with just about any solvent for PMMA I would think. We used chlorobenzine IIRC, but what's wrong with toluene?  For thicker films use either a higher conc of polymer or a slower spinning speed. For thinner films use a lower polymer conc or a faster spinning speed.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 03:10:58 PM »
Toluene would work well. P's suggestions of a chlorinated solvent could be hazardous depending on you're background with working with chemicals.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline P

• I am what I am
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 03:34:10 PM »
P's suggestions of a chlorinated solvent could be hazardous depending on you're background with working with chemicals.

Yes that's right, I'm just saying that it's what we used to use - Toluene sounds fine.  I used impermeable gloves, a cleanroom suit, goggles and the solutions were prepared and spun in a fume cupboard.  We tried not to breath over the disk when spinning as particulates from your breath can cause comet trails in the coating. Takes a couple of goes of practice to get it right.

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline nihilist

• Very New Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 09:00:36 AM »
iam using pmma in powder and  it dissolves in dimethyl formamide well but dimethyl formamide is hazardous to health

Offline P

• I am what I am
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 09:09:06 AM »
Most organic solvents are. You have to take the proper precautions when using them.

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline keyser_soze

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 05:01:11 PM »
Hi,
I would like to cast a thin layer of PMMA PolyMethylMetAcrylate on a silicon mold. I bought a commercial PMMA in powder, and I found a recipe to dissolve it in toluene (2% w/w). Does anybody know a different, but effective, recipe?
Thanks a lot!
bye!
lag

THF will prob work best.

Offline Captain Sci

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
    • Material Harvest
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 01:20:10 PM »
I have previously formed PMMA films of variable thickness by casting from toluene (1 - 5% w/v). If you want an alternative solvent that evaporates faster, try either THF or ethyl acetate. I would personally stay away from chlorinated solvents, unless of course you are a trained chemist and you have access to a fume-cupboard.

Bear in mind that if your PMMA has a high molecular weight (which it probably does), then you should leave the solution to stand for several hours at least before casting it.

Best wishes

Athan
<a href="http://www.materialharvest.com">Material Harvest</a> - tell us all about your synthesis and purification requirements

Offline prasad1

• Very New Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 06:27:04 PM »
Hi,

This is Prasad.

Yes that's right, I'm just saying that it's what we used to use - Toluene sounds fine.  I used impermeable gloves, a cleanroom suit, goggles and the solutions were prepared and spun in a fume cupboard.  We tried not to breath over the disk when spinning as particulates from your breath can cause comet trails in the coating. Takes a couple of goes of practice to get it right.

for more   details Click Here

---------------------

Prasad.

Offline Kazik

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 03:56:05 AM »
Hi,
Thanks a lot!
bye!
lag
Hi,
I have a big problem because I'd like to buy PMMA PolyMethylMetAcrylate in powder to produce transparent acrylic awards and trophies but I can't find ecxcatly where I can buy it. I found out that I need toluene and that's all.  I have been looknig for this raw material fo 2 weeks and I'll be very, very appreciate for your help. Nobody could help me.
I need a help, please!

Offline P

• I am what I am
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 12:25:43 PM »
I'm sure you've tried this already, but I typed "PMMA POWDER" into google and there LOADS of links to componies that sell it worldwide. Have you tried to contact any of them?

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Sponsored Links