March 29, 2024, 02:20:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry Grad School  (Read 42875 times)

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:Chemistry Grad School
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2005, 04:22:06 AM »
Agreed.  If you do happen to get something published while you are an undergrad, then that is a huge plus.  However, professors know that this is a rare occurence.  As I mentioned in another thread, my undergrad work didn't get published until this year, and I'm heading into my third year of grad school.

Offline Jd1828

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 11:02:51 PM »
I am also looking to go to grad school soon.  I am starting my senior year of undergrad in the fall but because of the order I have to take some classes in, I will have to take another year to finish.  I figure that this will give me 2 school years and one summer to do research and what I hear from my advisor is thats a lot more than most undergrads do.  I hope this will help make up for my low gpa (exactly 3.0 right now) but I still have to take pchem so I don’t expect it to go up much.  I was thinking that all my research will look good and allow me to get to know some profs that could write recommendations.  Right now Im not too concerned with where I go but if I will have the grades to go to gradschool.

I have a question about the whole different school for gradschool idea.  Right now I go to one of U of Minn’s smaller state school and I planned on going to the main campus for gradschool.  Does that still count as being the same school?

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 12:52:26 PM »
I know that some grad schools have a minimum GPA requirement, but I don't think it'd be an issue.  Might be worth checking on though.  I think that most chemistry programs will look at your GPA in your major as well.  I don't think it would be as big a problem if you were going to a different campus.  Certainly in the UC system there is no problem (ask Mitch!).  There are some great professors at the Twin Cities campus too.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 06:46:00 PM »
Yeah, the 'same school' thing means just that--the exact same school.  If you go to a state school then to another in the same system, that's fine.  It's when you go to Minn state at town A and stay there for grad school that's a problem.

Sponsored Links