April 27, 2024, 01:39:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: synthesis of essential drugs  (Read 9914 times)

Offline experimenter

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
synthesis of essential drugs
« on: December 16, 2009, 03:09:51 PM »
I'm a physician with basic knowledge of organic chemistry.

I would like to know what is the best reference (maybe more than one) that explains the synthesis of essential medical drugs. If there's no one particular compendium-type publication then how do I go about looking for journal articles or proven patents that explain the synthesis of individual drugs. Ideally the process should be explained from start to finish. Sort of like a lab manual.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: synthesis of essential drugs
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 03:38:30 PM »
inputting "total synthesis of (insert drug name here)" is usually a good start.  Other than that, I only really know of scifinder, an outrageously expensive program you probably don't have access to unless you're near a university.

Offline tmartin

• Mole Snacks: +15/-2
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 04:12:46 PM »
I have a copy of The Merck Index, I really haven't used it much but I can see it being useful as a reference for drugs, natural products, and biologicals.  It lists compounds in encyclopedia format with references to literature articles (presumably of their synthesis/relevant info).  Not sure if it is available online (I think it is?) and whether or not it is free to access.

Edit: It is available through the internet, but not free, you can access it through Cambridgesoft.
https://themerckindex.cambridgesoft.com/TheMerckIndex/index.asp

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 06:21:23 PM »
The Organic Chemistry of Drug Synthesis

I agree with this answer. However, in the real world, the actual answer can be difficult to know. Because many options for a synthesis are possible, new chemistry may be substituted at any time. The Lednicer series probably gives you the basics as well as anyone can. It won't prevent someone from inventing a new reaction that can shorten or improve a synthesis.

Pharmaceutical companies will have many patents around a successful drug. They may protect the company's original process or remove any incentive for someone to profit from alternate routes that the original inventors also thought of. If there is profit to be had, the patentees like to get as much of it as they can. The net result is you will need a lot of expertise to deduce a commercial route from the patent literature.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline experimenter

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 07:37:42 AM »
Excellent references. Thanks a lot!

I have a another question. Is there a lab manual that explains how to do the types of reactions explained in these books? Thats so that I can make sense of the reaction equations that are presented. Doesnt have to include everything, just the most common processes for the most common reactions.

As you might've guessed what I would like to do is to synthesize some of these drugs to experiment in mice as a hobby. I'm setting up a small home chem lab. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

Offline bromidewind

• Mole Snacks: +10/-7
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 08:32:38 AM »
First, I would recommend that you get a DEA license if you're going to be synthesizing anything that is a part of the Controlled Substances Act. Home chem labs are kind of looked down upon by Big Brother if you're going beyond anything like aspirin ;)

As for how to run these sort of reactions, I would recommend getting a Pyrex Glassware Kit. They can be a bit pricey (somewhere around 500 USD), but not only do you get some of the best glassware out there for organic chemistry reactions, you also get a nifty little booklet that explains all the different apparatuses and their usefulness. If you're looking for specific procedures, like something you would get in a laboratory class, then you might have some luck just using Google to search for said procedures. Otherwise, embrace one of the greatest features of organic chemistry: Knowing what you want to end with and what you have to start with, and fill in the middle :)

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 12:12:14 PM »
sciencemadness.org is a great forum for home chemists.  I'd assume he already has a DEA number, being a physician, but I'm not sure if that's all that's needed to synthesize those compounds at home.  I'd call around and find that information out for sure.  You might also need licensure to work with animals.  Even if you don't need licensure for any of this however, I'd still get in touch with either a PhD or MD/PhD you can trust and talk about your planned research, so you can make sure your experiments are carried out in such a manner that the results could be considered valid.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 01:24:36 PM »

I have a another question. Is there a lab manual that explains how to do the types of reactions explained in these books?

http://ca.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471215201.html

You will likely want a fume hood installed for many of the procedures you will encounter.

Offline bromidewind

• Mole Snacks: +10/-7
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 07:53:55 PM »
You will likely want a fume hood installed for many of the procedures you will encounter.

Or you can just do what I did as a teenage chemist and use your parent's stove as a hot plate and use the vent fan on there as a fume hood ;)

As a word of warning, do not mix potassium nitrate and table sugar in an aluminum dish on a stove. If the two aren't stirred evenly over low heat, they will spontaneously combust, generating enough heat tomelt aluminum. This happens around 660 degrees Celsius. Learn from the mistakes of a budding child chemist..

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 10:09:32 PM »
My childhood stove still has battle scars as well  ;D 

But for hardcore organic chemistry, the kitchen is not the best place for the use of compounds that can be carcinogenic or highly toxic.  For low toxicity compounds the kitchen is fine, but for some of the nasty stuff used in organic chemistry, I would much prefer a dedicated work area.

At the very least if not some sort of fume hood, outdoors on a windy day  ;)

Offline experimenter

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 04:29:35 PM »
thank you for the manual link 408.  i appreciate everyones advice!

Sponsored Links