April 19, 2024, 02:33:04 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is Chromatography?  (Read 4511 times)

Offline attafasalih

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What is Chromatography?
« on: December 21, 2009, 03:01:50 AM »
Hello,
 :-[ inspite that I graduated one year ago, I do not know any thing about "chromatography". So, I ask you freinds to help me know what is it and how it is applied in our feild.
THanks.
 ???

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: What is Chromatography?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 03:25:25 AM »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Melody

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: What is Chromatography?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 11:53:34 AM »
Hello,
 :-[ inspite that I graduated one year ago, I do not know any thing about "chromatography". So, I ask you freinds to help me know what is it and how it is applied in our feild.
THanks.
 ???

A quick definition of chromatography could be: a method to separate substances (liquid or gas) making them get through a solid phase fixed in a coloumn, pushing them through this solid phase by a mobile phase (liquid or gas). Since substances have different affinity for solid and mobile phases, they flow throgh the coloumn with different speed, and they exit the coloumn in different times: so they get separated. If you put a detector at the end of the coloumn, you can also distinguish and quantify the susbstances (obviously you have to know before your mixture composition, at least approximately, and to get right standards).

This is a very very simple and sketchy description... if you want to go into details, avail yourself of the link borek posted... be aware that you will find an unbound and many-sided world that is in constant evolution ;) but don't be discouraged!

Sponsored Links