March 28, 2024, 11:10:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: polymers  (Read 5812 times)

Offline samkc

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
polymers
« on: December 15, 2009, 03:50:03 PM »
Hello,

I would like to know if a single solid piece of plastic such as a rod of HDPE represents a single continuous polymer chain. If not, what force keeps the rod in a single piece?

Thanks,
Sam

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: polymers
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 04:16:21 PM »
No, it is not a single molecule. And forces that keep it intact are exactly the same ones that keep candle in one piece, even if it is made from much shorter (albeit very chemically similar) molecules.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline samkc

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 04:45:12 PM »
Thanks.

Can you tell me what type of bonds are responsible for holding the separate chains of polymers together?  I assume these are not the same covalent bonds that hold the atoms within the polymer together.

Sam

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 06:39:30 PM »
What intermolecular forces do you know? To some extent and denpding on polymer they will be all at work.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline polymergirl

• Very New Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 09:31:02 PM »
Most "plastics" are polymers that are long enough to be held together via chain entanglement.  The polymer chains are long enough that the are tangled up (oftten times this is described like a bowl of spaghetti).  This increases the viscosity of a polymer.  When the material is below the Glass Transition Temperature (Tg) it is then hard and generally doesn't flow.

Other factors can affect the mechanical properties such as crystallinity, chain structure, etc.

Offline samkc

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 10:52:40 AM »
Thanks. That is a very helpful explanation.

Sam

Sponsored Links