April 24, 2024, 07:42:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Starting Chemistry  (Read 3358 times)

Offline w1nk5

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +2/-1
Starting Chemistry
« on: December 28, 2009, 12:18:49 PM »
Hi. First let me introduce myself. My name is Bill and I am a computer programmer from Canada. I have always had an intense interest in how things work. I am currently reading 'The Weather Makers' written by Tim Flannery and have been inspired to update my chemistry to help me understand how our planet is being negatively effective by our consumptous way of living.

Anyways, my chemistry background is nonexistent other than the joke of a course I took in highschool.

I am currently working for our local library and have a lot of free time (for reading).

I figure since I am here, I might as well take advantage of these resources.

I am looking to read a fundamental chemistry book to get me started. To lay the ground work of chemistry fundamentals to into my brain for further chemistry education.

What were the books that inspired you to follow a career in chemistry?

What books would you recommend?

Are there any books that are known within your industry as being a 'must-read' for a beginner?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Starting Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 12:28:58 PM »
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=2402.0

In general, any General Chemistry book will do. As you have stated you are a programmer, I assume you have some math background ready. You will not need much for GenChem, but some basic stuff comes handy.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links