April 26, 2024, 02:55:01 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Preserving organic matter  (Read 3394 times)

Offline Katie

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Preserving organic matter
« on: December 29, 2009, 01:30:13 PM »
I need some help. I am trying to preserve slices of fruit/vegetables to embed into clear casting resin.  (Like Damien Hurst's cow/shark/sheep artworks).  Please can anyone suggest what I can use to 'plasticize' the fruit so that it has no moisture and will not be 'bleached' by the resin?  Keeping my fingers crossed for some advice (taxidermists & undertakers can't help).  Perhaps a chemist can  :D

Offline bromidewind

• Mole Snacks: +10/-7
Re: Preserving organic matter
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 11:35:36 PM »
I'm more of a biochemist than just a plain chemist, but I hope I can help you in this :)

Dry ice is commonly used to flash freeze organic substances. This <a href="http://www.personal.psu.edu/dsg11/labmanual/DNA_manipulations/Comp_bact_by_RF1_RF2.htm">laboratory method</a> for the preservation of bacteria involves using a dry ice/ethanol bath to preserve them until they are ready to be used. Flash freezing prevents the formation of ice crystals so that the cell walls of the product are not damaged. This way when you thaw out your product, it will be somewhat dry and unspoiled. Liquid nitrogen can also be used, but I don't think fruits/vegetables warrant the use of it. It's also more expensive and dangerous.

I'm not sure what you mean by it being bleached by resin.. but I would guess this would relate to the actual resin in use.

Hope this helps!

Sponsored Links