April 27, 2024, 07:26:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: speeding Tollens Reagent  (Read 4033 times)

Offline nicamarvin

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
speeding Tollens Reagent
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:29:12 AM »
Hi to you all my friends, my name is marvin and I am from nicaragua I am doing a experiment concerning tollens reagent, well I have a small mirror shopp and I would like to switch from the pouring of silverving agents to the Spraying of the Silvering agents(faster reaction) my question is, does this difference is because of the reducing sugars? is Fructose a faster reducer than Glucose?. :o or is it in the sensitizer?  ???

thank you... :D

oh I think I posted in the wrong place...sorry as this is a organic question... :-[
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:48:54 AM by nicamarvin »

Offline Fleaker

• Mole Snacks: +11/-0
  • Synthetic Chemist
Re: speeding Tollens Reagent
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 11:36:48 AM »
I think it is reasonable to say that the difference in the reaction rate between various sugars is due to the ease of which that sugar is oxidized.

If you want speed, you can always pass on the hemiacetal (as most reducing sugars are predominantly ring-closed examples), and instead use an aldehyde.
Neither flask nor beaker.

Offline nicamarvin

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
Re: speeding Tollens Reagent
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 04:02:37 PM »
I think it is reasonable to say that the difference in the reaction rate between various sugars is due to the ease of which that sugar is oxidized.

If you want speed, you can always pass on the hemiacetal (as most reducing sugars are predominantly ring-closed examples), and instead use an aldehyde.
thanks my friend, I had a feeling that was the case, how about using the simplest of Aldehyde? Formaldehyde in its formalin state? how much should one dilute formalin to use in the silvering prosess? thanks

Sponsored Links