April 28, 2024, 07:08:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Stereocentres in Cyclic Compounds  (Read 12188 times)

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
Stereocentres in Cyclic Compounds
« on: January 07, 2010, 03:34:47 PM »
I know this is quite a common question and apparently easy to be retrieved from Organic Chemistry books... but I haven't already found any text (or even any other sort of reference) which clearly explains how can you identify a stereogenic centre in a cyclic compound and this is driving me crazy... I've checked on the Clayden-Greeves and on the Hart and found no helpful information... looking on the net I read somewhere that you should count the whole chain (except for the considered C atom) clockwise (e.g.) as the first substitutent and then consider it, taken counterclockwise, as the second substitutent. But checking on another site I found a different answer...

Could you please help me? I just need some clear and definite information about stereocentres in cyclic compounds...

Thank you all very much  ;)
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline cpncoop

• Mole Snacks: +6/-3
Re: Stereocentres in Cyclic Compounds
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 07:21:36 PM »
In cyclic compounds, you identify the stereocenter, and count around the ring in a clockwise or counterclockwise fashion, determine the priorities of the substitution pattern, and assign the stereochemistry.  It's identical to what you would do with an open-chained compound.  It would help if you provided an example, but the same ideas for open-chained compounds hold true here as well.

Offline srihari

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 12:53:33 AM »
another way is to draw the planar view of the compound and then use the dash and wedge bonds and then check for the symmetries and decide the chirality of the carbon under discussion . this should make life simpler
life's game -play it

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 09:58:02 AM »
Ok... Here is an example as asked, am I right?  ;)
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline stewie griffin

• Mole Snacks: +61/-7
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 11:11:07 AM »
MrTeo, we can't say if you're right or not since you didn't indicate any sterechemical info in your drawings. If your figure on the left you need to indicate if that methyl group is a wedge (pointing towards us) or a dash (pointing away from us). Only then can I check if it's (R) or (S). As far as the double bond goes though... we don't assign those carbons the (R)/(S) notation.

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 11:27:22 AM »
Yep, I'm still a beginner with sterochemistry and it's quite clear to see  ;D

Here's a better one (at least I hope so)... The stereocentres are the same and the notation for the carbon attached to the methyl group should be S as I wrote... my only doubt is: when we've got a double bond and we identify the carbon atoms belonging to it as stereocentres, the only notation we need to assign is E/Z considering the substitutes's priority? Transforming the double bond in single bonds with carbon atoms it's only used when we need to find priorities?

Thank you all again  ;)

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 11:47:18 AM »
Hi MrTeo

That revised picture of yours... why did you put a wedge on the hydrogens?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 12:11:01 PM »
Hi ^^

Well, I was asking myself if I had to identify the disposition of substitutents on the double bond counting the chain branches as substitutents like when I'm working on a stereocentre...  ::)

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 12:17:59 PM »
my only doubt is: when we've got a double bond and we identify the carbon atoms belonging to it as stereocentres, the only notation we need to assign is E/Z considering the substitutes's priority?
Yes. That is the IUPAC convention. Sometimes, you might want to use cis/trans for simplicity

Transforming the double bond in single bonds with carbon atoms it's only used when we need to find priorities?
Yup
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 12:48:09 PM »
Right... now everything's quite clear... only one last thing, regarding double bonds and E/Z (or cis/trans) convention: do I need to specify whether on a cycloalkene the substitues are on the same side or not? (e.g. (Z)-1,2-dimethylcyclohex-1-ene

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 01:14:17 PM »
Right... now everything's quite clear... only one last thing, regarding double bonds and E/Z (or cis/trans) convention: do I need to specify whether on a cycloalkene the substitues are on the same side or not? (e.g. (Z)-1,2-dimethylcyclohex-1-ene

Possibly best practise to, yes, but bear in mind that in smaller cycloalkenes the (E)-isomer is actually impossible due to steric grounds. I think cycloheptene is the smallest that you can observe both at room temperature for reasonable periods of time.

Sponsored Links