April 16, 2024, 02:00:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Methanol and My First Lab Day  (Read 23426 times)

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
Methanol and My First Lab Day
« on: July 13, 2005, 10:00:16 AM »
So I FINALLY got to work in a real laboratory and do some real analytical chemistry for profit yesterday...we were using microwave extraction to 'nuke' crushed up rocks in methanol...and the liquid fractions had to be transferring to vials so they could be GC'ed...

My burning question is, I spilled methanol on my hands, repeatedly.  Anybody out there have that happen?  How much before you go blind?

I know this info could be found on a website looking at LD50s, etc...but this way I get to tell a story and we all get to share our methanol experiences.  :D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 10:00:32 AM by lemonoman »

GCT

Re:Methanol and My First Lab Day
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 10:58:58 AM »
You don't want to come into contact with any of the chemicals, so in general wear gloves.  As far as I know methanol is toxic to the optic nerve

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 12:16:44 PM »
I think that most of the harm from methanol is due to the fact that it gets oxidized to formaldehyde in the body when you ingest it.  I'm not sure if that happens with skin exposure though.

MSDS for MeOH

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 01:22:41 PM »
Unless you took a bath in the stuff, I wouldn't worry about it.  Methanol is in a LOT of windshield washer fluids, and I don't recall being told to wear gloves while refilling my reservoir.   :P
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 01:52:42 PM »
I've spilled methanol on myself several times.  As GCT mentioned, wear gloves when using it since it is skin-permeable.  From an anecdotal perspective, I've known HPLC technicians who have gotten it on themselves daily and they appear to have perfect eyesight after 20+ years (ie suggesting that it is not cumulative).  If you you do get a whole bunch in your system, make sure you drink pleny of ethanol.  I've read (it's in most Biochemistry textbooks) that there is a competitive enzyme reaction that makes methanol essentially harmless if you have it in a small proportion to ethanol.  In fact, many GC analyses indicate that there are small quantites of methanol in almost all alcoholic beverages.  Obviously, the get loaded theory fails if it starts approaching the toxicity limit of ethanol.  The information given by GCT is also consistent with observations about the very stern warnings for eye protection when dealing with chemicals that generate methanol in vapor form (ie hydrolysis of tetramethoxysilane).  

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 10:29:21 PM »
You are correct.  The human body REALLY prefers to break down ethanol much more than it does methanol.  Alcohol dehydrogenase, the enzyme responsible for alcohol metabolism, has a strong steric preference more ethanol.  As a result, if there is a greater concentration of ethanol compared to methanol, the methanol will quickly leave the body untouched.  All alcoholic beverages contain a small portion of methanol in them.  The concentration is high enough to be detected, but not compared to the concentration of ethanol it's not really toxic at all.  Methanol itself is pretty much non-toxic.  It's just that your body has this bad habit of converting it into formaldehyde which is REALLY, REALLY bad for you.

At emergency rooms, if they strongly believe that someone has ingested methanol, they will immediately introduce ethanol into their blood stream in order to flood the enzymes and help the body excrete the methanol as ethanol is a very good diuretic.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 12:41:40 PM by jdurg »
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 12:36:20 AM »
So jdurg...what you're saying...is that if I ever spill methanol on me, the best home remedy is going drinking?

I LOVE Chemistry!  :cheers:

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 12:42:01 PM »
So jdurg...what you're saying...is that if I ever spill methanol on me, the best home remedy is going drinking?

I LOVE Chemistry!  :cheers:

LMFAO.... No.

;)

arnyk

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 03:59:40 PM »
I would dare to say that you won't go BLIND by spilling it on your HANDS.  ::)

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 01:49:05 AM »
But you'll go blind if you drink too much of it....

arnyk

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 10:13:20 AM »
Again I would dare to say that you won't go blind from DRINKING by spilling it on your HANDS.  ::)

I certainly hope you're not cleaning your hands with your mouth.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 11:52:59 AM by arnyk »

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 10:43:09 AM »
this is hilarious but always remember: safety first

:D
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 12:12:11 PM »
I certainly hope you're not cleaning your hands with your mouth.

Hey, it works for my cats!  ;D

arnyk

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 01:22:34 PM »
Your cats aren't doing 3rd year Analytical Chem Practicals...or at least they shouldn't be...  ::)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 02:35:59 PM by arnyk »

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 02:12:20 PM »
Yes, you've got me on that one.

Alas.

Sponsored Links