March 28, 2024, 06:13:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How do hydrogen cars relate to chemistry?  (Read 3119 times)

Offline MelissaBrown

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How do hydrogen cars relate to chemistry?
« on: January 10, 2010, 11:51:38 AM »
Hi... I am doing a HUGE report which is worth 8% of my mark, and I need 3 ways how hydrogen-powered cars relate to chemistry?

This is a grade 10 essay, I know they run on the element hydrogen, but I don't want to just right "They relate to chemistry because hydrogen is an element and they use that element", I want to right more.  Can someone please *delete me*

Also this is my last week of science for the year!   :(  :'(

It's ok, I am taking grade 11 chem and bio next year :D

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
Re: How do hydrogen cars relate to chemistry?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 11:58:50 AM »
How is the hydrogen used to power the car? What is the range of the car when it runs on hydrogen? Why?

Where does the hydrogen come from?

How does the hydrogen get to the car and how is it put in the car? How is it stored at the station and in the car?

What are the benefits and problems using hydrogen as a fuel compared to alternatives? Today and in the future.

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 11:37:39 AM »
How does the hydrogen get to the car and how is it put in the car? How is it stored at the station and in the car?

This is really an important aspect: I remember I read something a few years ago about a project of the Politecnico di Milano about stations built to fill up cars with hydrogen, using some advanced devices to prevent it from leaking or blowing up... just think that a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen would be incredibly explosive...
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline cpncoop

• Mole Snacks: +6/-3
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 12:25:52 PM »
This is a good point to bring up, and would lead nicely into a discussion about fuel cells, how they work, how they recharge, etc...

Sponsored Links