April 26, 2024, 08:19:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Props for getting this one - significant figures  (Read 5679 times)

Offline wilmas1

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Props for getting this one - significant figures
« on: January 10, 2010, 12:01:51 AM »
Hey all! I am a newbie taking chem 1050 in college as a prereq for my nursing degree. Completely stumped by this question. Here we go... ???
What is the shortest length that could be measured with ruler B (ruler of 15 centimeters with millimeter graduations) that would contain four significant figures?
Answers are:
a) Exactly 1cm, b) exactly 5cm, c) exactly 10cm, d)exactly 15cm.
Please explain how you got your answer. Thanks!!

Offline RobertT

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Props for getting this one - significant figures
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 03:46:20 AM »
The "would contain" is a bit ambiguous but, as a hint, you should remember what follows an exact number. This being said, try to solve it without the total guidance of others :)

Offline wilmas1

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 12:44:42 PM »
try to solve it without the total guidance of others :)
[/quote]
Apologies for not being hard-wired for this sort of stuff.  We all can't be geniuses in chemistry. I have thought about this problem for HOURS, DAYS-and I think I have it figured out...on my own. I thought the purpose of this board was to offer help, not criticism. That being said, what you did offer helped solidify my answer, so thanks.

Offline RobertT

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 07:21:35 PM »
Apologies for not being hard-wired for this sort of stuff.  We all can't be geniuses in chemistry. I have thought about this problem for HOURS, DAYS-and I think I have it figured out...on my own. I thought the purpose of this board was to offer help, not criticism. That being said, what you did offer helped solidify my answer, so thanks.
[/quote]

Most people show working out before being helped, I wasn't being critical, i was being helpful, figuring out things for yourself should help you learn more and remember more. I'm not a Chemistry genius, I did place the answer up before but i decided to modify my post as it would've been too easy.
If you did figure it out, then Grats.

Offline RobertT

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 12:19:20 AM »

Apologies for not being hard-wired for this sort of stuff.  We all can't be geniuses in chemistry. I have thought about this problem for HOURS, DAYS-and I think I have it figured out...on my own. I thought the purpose of this board was to offer help, not criticism. That being said, what you did offer helped solidify my answer, so thanks.

Most people show working out before being helped, I wasn't being critical, i was being helpful, figuring out things for yourself should help you learn more and remember more. I'm not a Chemistry genius, I did place the answer up before but i decided to modify my post as it would've been too easy.

Offline RobertT

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 07:16:36 AM »

Apologies for not being hard-wired for this sort of stuff.  We all can't be geniuses in chemistry. I have thought about this problem for HOURS, DAYS-and I think I have it figured out...on my own. I thought the purpose of this board was to offer help, not criticism. That being said, what you did offer helped solidify my answer, so thanks.

Sponsored Links