April 28, 2024, 11:06:49 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A few specific questions  (Read 2336 times)

Offline psychoNOT

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
A few specific questions
« on: January 12, 2010, 07:11:35 PM »
Yes, these are my homework questions, no they are not due tomorrow, and I do NOT want the answer, I just want to make sure I am on the right track.  Anyway, the first one has a molecule which is a benzene ring and 2 substituents on carbon 1, an extra hydrogen and a methyl group, obviously violating the octet rule and giving the molecule a negative charge.  It asks for a more stable resonance form.  Since resonance forms only allow the moving of electrons and not changing the structure, I don't see how this is possible.  I don't really understand this one, if anyone can give a subtle hint about where to go I would be grateful.

The second one is about intermolecular interactions, asking which ones are present in liquid H2O, hexane, and ethyl acetate.
I said:
H2O- H bonds, dipole-dipole, london forces
hexane- london forces
EtOAc- dipole-induced dipole, london forces

Are any missing (just yes or no)/are any wrong?

Finally, a question about Potassium inside an 18-Crown-6 molecule, intermolecular interactions.  I said only ion-dipole as monoatomic ions (potassium) don't have dipoles and therefore can't have dipole-dipole or induced/instantaneous dipole interactions.

Thanks for the info

Offline cpncoop

• Mole Snacks: +6/-3
Re: A few specific questions
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 08:40:07 AM »
You dealt with the second 2 questions very well, and I agree with your answers. 

To give you a hint about the first question, you are correct, you can only push electrons around in a resonance form.  One way to do this is by creating an extra bond.  In other words, by resonating an extra bond around the benzene ring, the negative charge is delocalized around the ring instead of sitting (unhappily) on a single carbon.  Hope this helps

Sponsored Links