March 29, 2024, 05:49:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Will an insoluble material lower the freezing point of a solvent?  (Read 20162 times)

Offline nonfatmintlatte

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I already know that the addition of a solute to a solvent lowers its freezing/melting point. However, if some material that is insoluble is added into the solvent or the solution, how will that affect the change in freezing/melting point of the solvent?

Please help, thanks

Offline savy2020

• Mole Snacks: +7/-9
Re: Will an insoluble material lower the freezing point of a solvent?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 06:41:51 AM »
I think the insoluble solute doesn't affect the freezing point of the solvent....{But nothing is 100% insoluble}
:-) SKS

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 12:39:56 PM »
I think the insoluble solute doesn't affect the freezing point of the solvent....{But nothing is 100% insoluble}
Are you sure?

It's easy to think of it like this : If something is insoluble in a compound, I guess you could in a way treat it as an impurity in the original solute. What do you know about impure compounds and their freezing/boiling points?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline nonfatmintlatte

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 03:02:03 AM »
Are you sure?

It's easy to think of it like this : If something is insoluble in a compound, I guess you could in a way treat it as an impurity in the original solute. What do you know about impure compounds and their freezing/boiling points?

I actually don't know. Of course, an impure substance will not have the exact same freezing/boiling point as its pure substance. What does this mean?

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 05:19:36 AM »
Are you sure?

NO - If it is insoluble it will not effect the freezing/boiling point.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 09:41:54 AM »
DrCMS –

Not to contradict your entry, but to make an observation.
Sometimes questions can be muddy (possible pun).

You have a beaker of water and you put sugar in it until no more will dissolve.
You then boil the water to get a super-saturated solution.
You put in an insoluble string and the sugar solidifies on that string making rock candy.
I would guess dropping in sand might do the same thing except it would be too gritty to be candy.

I can not think of adding an insoluble to a solid and get a liquid.

I assume this observation does not apply to the original question (sort of apples and oranges).

Regards,
Bill

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 10:07:44 AM »
Are you sure?

Sorry guys, that was a typo... I meant solvent.

NO - If it is insoluble it will not effect the freezing/boiling point.

I'm sorry if I am mistaken, but can you please explain why freezing/boiling point will not be affected?

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline savy2020

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 10:10:30 AM »
Well what we are interested in is freezing point of "solvent". Only soluble materials can affect the freezing point of the "solvent".
Because may be insoluble compounds do not change the vapour pressure of the mixture

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 10:19:26 AM »
Well, does that mean there is no sort of interaction between an insoluble substance and a solvent whatsoever?
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline savy2020

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 10:42:52 AM »
Yup, but I am not sure...

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 12:32:30 PM »
If you put 100ml of water in a beaker what do you expect the boiling point to be?
If you put 100ml of water in a beaker with 100g of sand what do you expect the boiling point to be?
If you heated 100g of sand and turned it into glass and added that to the first beaker do you think it would change the boiling point?
If you used 50g of water or 200g of water in the same beaker do you think the boiling point will change?

If an insoluble material like glass changed the boiling point based on the amount of it relative to the solvent all the above examples would have different boiling points.

Offline savy2020

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 12:35:23 PM »
@DrCMS
This makes things clear :D
In all the cases you mentioned boiling point is same. Right?

Offline Ligander

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
  • Jah, muidugi kuid ei
    • Schulich Faculty of Chemistry - Technion, Israel
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 04:08:51 AM »

If you put 100ml of water in a beaker with 100g of sand what do you expect the boiling point to be?

If you put 1000ml of water in a beaker with 10g of thorougly screned flour(which is definitly non-soluble in water)  what do you expect the freezing point to be?

All colligative properties are entropic effects(google it or Atkins it). On the other hand colloidal particles are very big, so there not so much of them to raise significantly the degree of disorder of the whole system.

So the answer is YES, but to the very small degree.

IMHO

Offline nonfatmintlatte

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 04:40:37 AM »
can anyone tell me how to phrase the reasons for the answers? like some people say that the answer is yes or the answer is no. i am supposed to answer this for homework and we haven't reached a consensus yet here.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 04:58:17 AM »
There is no single and simple answer to the question, unless it is "no". Freezing point depression is proportional to concentration (molality) of the dissolved substances. Molality of insoluble substance is always zero, hence change in freezing point is also zero. But very fine suspensions or colloidal solutions - which are in a way borderline between solution and not-a-solution - may have specific properties different from properties of "normal" solutions. In most cases effects will be probably neglectable, so I would stick with "no" as a first approximation.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links