April 18, 2024, 03:59:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Proper Chemical Storage Containers  (Read 7668 times)

Offline Zen00

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Proper Chemical Storage Containers
« on: October 10, 2009, 07:50:01 PM »
Hey all,

I just recently began acquiring chemicals for my own experimentation, and now that I'm starting to stock up I'd like to know how to store them properly.

Anyone know where I can obtain good storage containers for various dry powder chemicals, and plastic bottles(where appropriate) for liquids?

Offline skyjumper

• 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-4
  • Lab Aid
Re: Proper Chemical Storage Containers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 04:25:11 PM »
Prefferably out of your living space, For long term storage, put the chemical in a ZipLock bag to provide one more layer of protection.

Offline bromidewind

• Mole Snacks: +10/-7
Re: Proper Chemical Storage Containers
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 07:28:27 PM »
<a href="http://www.lbl.gov/ehs/chsp/html/storage.shtml">This</a> is a government listing of the proper chemical storage guidelines (for the US at least). Obviously some of it is a little excessive and probably not within your price range or need, but it is a good starting point.

Glass bottles (brown and clear) are a definite necessity. You can find these probably at any home depot type place. I would imagine you could even recycle old beer bottles too, although I'm not sure if the structure of that glass is preferred. I believe high-density polyethylene bottles and polycarbonate plastics are the preferred plastic storage bottles. <a href="http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=59">Nalgene</a> is a large producer of polycarbonate bottles. Dry chemicals can also be stored in some of the larger plastic jugs or large glass jars.

You'll probably have to refer to the MSDS sheets for what plastic/glass is recommended for storage. As for location of storage, keep them in a dry, dark area that is preferably at room temperature, again depending on the chemical in question. Many chemicals are photosensitive and don't like being in the light too much. Every chemical has its different properties, so check the supplier's site for any info on how it should be stored. If any require colder temperatures, I would recommend purchasing an extra fridge/freezer. If you have the money, get an explosion proof fridge. It's better to be safe than sorry :)

Sponsored Links