March 29, 2024, 05:14:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Resulting Molarity  (Read 9568 times)

Terry.K

Resulting Molarity
« on: July 15, 2005, 01:48:51 AM »
I don't know the formula of this question...

What is the resulting molarity when 150. mL of 0.350 M NaOH solution is combined with 100. mL of 0.200 M NaOH solution?

In my class friends told me the answer is 0.290 M..

but I don't know how to get it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 02:01:48 AM by Terry.K »

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 03:30:15 AM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Qazzian

• Mole Snacks: +13/-6
  • Text? We don't need no stinking text!
Re:Resulting Molarity
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 01:42:52 AM »
One way (I'm sure there's more) is to find the number of moles in each sample.

So you take the molarity, (mol/L) and multiply by the volume in litres. Do that for each sample, and add the total number of moles.

Now, take the number of total moles, and divide by the TOTAL volume in litres, and you get the concentration. And yes, it is 0.290 M.
Biochemistry student. Third Year. University of Waterloo. Canada.

Hire Co-Op!

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 01:51:45 AM »
Now is as good a time as any to complement Borek on his ChemBuddy website, and it's comprehensiveness.

It is also as good a time as any to complement Qazzian, on paraphrasing the ChemBuddy site so that Terry doesn't have to click the link.  Power to the lazy! lol...

It is also important to note that understanding how this works is KEY to doing well on your chemistry tests at school.  It is worth the time to learn it.  Good luck  :)

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 02:49:51 PM »
Yeah, fancy calculators are a god send and a time saver to those of us who have to make these calculations on a daily basis.  However, they should not be used as a substitute to actually knowing how to solve the problem.  That's simply because what happens if you need to figure out a question but don't have access to the calculator?   ;)
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 03:35:03 PM »
(...) fancy calculators (...) should not be used as a substitute to actually knowing how to solve the problem.

That's why I have posted a link not to calculator, but to the lecture on the solution mixing calculations. You know, fishing pole, not a fish ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

arnyk

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 07:40:20 PM »
Ah the old saying, "Teach a man to fish and he will give you some fish if he catches some but it really depends on how well you taught him."...or something like that.  ::)

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 08:02:01 PM »
that sounds like the chinese saying, "give a man a fish and he'll live for a day. teach a man how to fish and he'll live forever."
one learns best by teaching

Sponsored Links