April 27, 2024, 02:14:19 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Questions about Aluminum chloride (AlCl3)  (Read 3573 times)

Offline jefferson987

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Questions about Aluminum chloride (AlCl3)
« on: January 23, 2010, 12:55:18 PM »
Im new to acylation / alkylation reactions and I have some questions about the Aluminum chloride catalyst.

1) I've been reading about a hexahydrate compound of AlCl3 which I'm assuming means theres water in the compound. Would I use the hexahydrate when performing acylation / alkylation reactions?

2) It is to be used in stoichiometric quantities?

3) I've read that AlCl3 reacts violently with water and yet in my search to buy some I've come across a few online stores that sell it in a solution, how can that be?

4) Can it be recovered after a reaction?

5) If I prepared some with Cl(g) + Al(s) would storage in a capped glass bottle be sufficient?

6) When performing an acylation / alkylation reaction with a o/p directing group I know I will form both products but how would I get my adding group to add to both the ortho and para positions on the same molecule?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Questions about Aluminum chloride (AlCl3)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 02:07:38 PM »
3) I've read that AlCl3 reacts violently with water and yet in my search to buy some I've come across a few online stores that sell it in a solution, how can that be?

This one I can help you with. Anhydrous chloride reacts with water giving off gaseous HCl. If you start with hexahydrate, or if you prepare AlCl3 directly in solution (for example dissolving Al in acid, although it is not as easy at it may sound) you don't have to deal with anhydrous stuff and preparation of solution is perfectly safe.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links