April 29, 2024, 12:33:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can you help me please  (Read 3663 times)

Offline XBOX999

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Can you help me please
« on: January 24, 2010, 02:16:40 PM »
The specific gravity of nitrobenzene is 1.20.
a) Calculate the mass in kg of 250 litres of nitrobenzene.
b) Calculate the volumetric flow in mL/min corresponding to a mass flow of 30 lbm/h of nitrobenzene.
c) Calculate the density of a mixture composed of 20 litres of nitrobenzene and 3 ft3 of benzene (SG = 0.879), by supposing that the volume of the mixture is the sum of the volume of the two substances.
Please help me set up this question and give me the equations I need please.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Can you help me please
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 02:26:30 PM »
What does a specific gravity of 1.20 mean?

Offline Galiligp

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Can you help me please
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 02:37:21 PM »
Specific gravity is the heaviness of a substance compared to that of water, and it is expressed without units. In the metric system specific gravity is the same as in the English system. If something is 7.85 times as heavy as an equal volume of water (such as iron is) its specific gravity is 7.85. Its density is 7.85 grams per cubic centimeter, or 7.85 kilograms per liter, or 7.85 metric tons per cubic meter. In relationship to liquids, the term specific gravity is used to describe the weight or density of a liquid compared to an equal volume of fresh water at 4°C (39° F). If the liquid you are comparing will float on this water it has a specific gravity of less than one (1). If it sinks into the fresh water the specific gravity is more than one. As you have already guessed fresh water at 4°C (39° F) has been assigned a value of one (1).

that is what i found... so i think that to answer a) all  you need to do is: 1.2X250=300 kg

Sponsored Links