April 27, 2024, 04:34:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Anion, Cation, or Radical?  (Read 9121 times)

jena

Anion, Cation, or Radical?
« on: July 15, 2005, 01:18:13 AM »
Hi,

My questions are:

Does cyclohexene with NBS, light, and tetrachloride produce anion or a cation?
My answer: It produces anion because of the NBS

Does 3-bromocyclohexene with water and heat produce anion or a cation?
My answer: It produces a cation because the of th water.  

Does 3-bromocyclohexene with magnesium and water produce anion, cation, or radical?
My answer: It produces a radical.

Are these correct?

Thank You :)

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:Anion, Cation, or Radical?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 01:47:31 AM »
When a reaction involves light it is usually indicative of a particular type of mechanism.  Do you know what kind?

In the second question if you produce a cation you also have to produce an anion.  It's a law of physics.  The question doesn't seem to make sense.

jena

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 02:03:40 AM »
1. For the the first question, I don't know if this helps any but the reaction produces 3- bromocyclohexene. Anyways getting back to the point,  I was looking over my book and it referred to this type of reaction as a radical allyic halogenation. So could it possibly be a radical.

2. For the second question, would have to add the water where the bromine is and when i add the heat wouldn't it formulate a anion intermediate. I'm not sure.

Are these correct assumptions? Also is question three alright or should I look over it again?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 02:14:52 AM by jena »

arnyk

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 10:06:12 AM »
For the first one, when you see light it usually means UV light which is a key catalyst for substitution reactions creating akyl halides.

As for the second I think it may be referring to the hydrocarbon itself whether it becomes a cation or anion.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 10:29:55 AM »
light + NBS = radical mechanism

NBS is a good initiator for free radical mechanism.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 12:05:44 PM »
Yes, radical for the first one, almost certainly.

I am still a little confused by the second one, as I said you can't get a cation without having an anion somewhere, so it depends on specifically what the question refers to as a "cation" or "anion."

The third one looks fine.  Oxidative addition of Mg into C-Br bonds is thought to go through a radical mechanism.

arnyk

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 01:18:33 PM »
For the second one, if they are asking whether the hydrocarbon itself becomes a cation or an anion, I would say anion.  Most likely it would lose an H+ in the process.

Of course if it loses the Br- then it'd be a cation...lol one of those is bound to be right.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 01:19:39 PM by arnyk »

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 02:10:20 PM »
Which is more stable, an allylic cation with a bromide counter ion or an allylic anion with an H3O+ counter ion?

arnyk

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 02:28:50 PM »
As an educated guess, I would go with the hydronium counter as the more stable?  Guess I'm about to learn something new.  ::)

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 03:32:40 PM »
I think it's probably the other way abound.  The pKa difference between a carbanion (pKa ~40) and hydronium (pKa ~ -2) is pretty enormous.  So it'd be very tough to do.

arnyk

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 06:36:56 PM »
So both could and would occur, but the equilibrium would shift towards the more stable condition?

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 08:52:56 PM »
Well, think of the other way, with water attacking the allylic bromide via an SN2 or SN2' attack mechanism.  The immediate product would be a protonated allylic alcohol.  The pKa's for a protonated alcohol and HBr are -2 and -7, respectively.  So in that case, the immediate product at least makes sense in terms of what is protonated and what is not.

You can draw both mechanisms, and maybe both occur to some extent, but the carbanion mechanism would have a titanic activation energy because you would have such a poor equilibrium with a pKa difference of ~42 units in the wrong direction.

Sponsored Links