April 18, 2024, 11:00:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What chemicals can boil below water and be used to drive steam turbines?  (Read 5241 times)

Offline morraine

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello, Thanks for taking the time to look at this question.
This is my first post to this forum because i have a burning desire to know the answer to a question with has me stumped. I'm not a chemist, i am more of a hobbyist electrical/mechanical engineer who is working on a home made steam turbine generator. Now i want to make this generator incredible efficient like some geothermal companies do with the use of a work chemical that vaporises in to steam as low as 57f / 13.8c degress.

if you take a look at this website you will see the data from a company who does this for Geo thermal power generation.
http://www.rasertech.com/geothermal/geothermal-multimedia/geothermal-process-animation-video

Does any one know of the chemical they are using to drive the turbines at only 57 Fahrenheit degrees,

Or do you know of a similar chemical which maybe wont vaporise so low but is lower than water ,

Or do you know of a way that i could make water vaporise at temperatures lower than normal boiling point?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: What chemicals can boil below water and be used to drive steam turbines?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 04:14:10 AM »
Freons come to mind.

Please remember low difference between temperatures of heater and cooler mean low efficiency, that's thermodynamics 101.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links