April 27, 2024, 02:43:05 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Multistep synthesis problem  (Read 3488 times)

Offline thirteenalpha

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Multistep synthesis problem
« on: January 28, 2010, 07:12:12 PM »
Can anyone help me figure out how to make (R,S)-1,5-dichlorooctane from propylcyclopentane?  I've been trying to figure it out but I am lost.  Just some hints at the steps would be helpful.  Thanks.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Re: Multistep synthesis problem
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 09:22:30 PM »
Let's start with the hardest problem first. What reactions do you know that result in carbon-carbon bond cleavage (hint, probably an oxidation of a single or double bond)?

Question two, how can you introduce a double bond into an alkane (hint, halogenation/elimination)?
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline diptarka

• Mole Snacks: +0/-8
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 02:08:22 AM »
How can the C1 have R configuration? You Want 1,5-dichlorooctane (ignoring stereochemisty for the time being) that is ClCH2CH2CH2CH2CHClCH2CH2CH2.
C1 has 2 H and cant be chiral

Offline thirteenalpha

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 02:30:33 AM »
I think by the (R,S) it meant both on carbon 5, not (1R,5S).  Anyway I think I figured it out.  Bromination - elimination - ozonolysis - reduction to alcohol with NaBH4 - SOCl2.  However, on the elimination part wouldn't there be 2 different products and if so what do I do about it?

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 01:15:47 PM »
Re: Bromination - elimination - ozonolysis - reduction to alcohol with NaBH4 - SOCl2.
That is what I thought the question was asking for, so good. The elimination is likely to give a mixture. However, exocyclic double bonds are usually less stable than endocyclic (in the ring), therefore it should be favored.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links