April 27, 2024, 12:48:02 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Materials that freeze around 60 Degrees F?  (Read 7612 times)

Offline Kasmodean

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Materials that freeze around 60 Degrees F?
« on: January 30, 2010, 03:07:20 PM »
I am working on a school project and am trying to make an ice pack that can be put in direct contact with skin without damaging tissue.  So I can't use water/ice.  I was looking for materials that freeze around 60 degrees F since they won't hurt skin and they would last longer cause the difference in air temperature and pack temperature would be closer.  But I am having trouble finding suitable materials.  I have been researching for a few weeks now and I am feeling hopeless now.  I have found the following:

1)Hexadecane-freezes around 60, but really, really expensive, plus its hazards are questionable.
2)Acetic Acid-also freezes around 60 in the pure state, but way, way to dangerous, didn't even bother finding price or availablity
3)Glycerine-(thought this would be the one) freezes around 60 when it is 99% glycerine 1% water and it is very safe.  So I bought some from my local walmart and tried to freeze it. But it won't freeze.  I did more research and found out glycerine supercools and is hard to get to freeze.

Does anyone know any other material I can use that is relatively safe and freezes aroun 60F?  Or does anyone know how I can get the glycerine to freeze?  Or, is there anything I can add to glycerine to stop it from supercooling without lowering its freezing temp?

Any help would be very appreciated since it seems like I have hit a wall.

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Materials that freeze around 60 Degrees F?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 03:25:27 PM »
prevention of super cooling
I Googled the above and got answers about nucleating agents.
Also they some threads talk about salts that may have the freezing point you ask about.

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
Re: Materials that freeze around 60 Degrees F?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 09:00:10 PM »
There are a number of waxes that melt (or freeze) at about that temp.  They should be relatively safe, as many are food grade.

Sponsored Links