March 29, 2024, 03:30:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Friedal's craft with NBS bromination in BPO and CCl4  (Read 7404 times)

Offline missk15

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Friedal's craft with NBS bromination in BPO and CCl4
« on: February 02, 2010, 03:14:55 PM »
Hello everyone,

Okay so I am working on one of the practice questions and I have come across a problem. There is a benzene ring and it is substituted at one position with a 3 fused rings. THe middle fused ring is also a benzene but the other two are simply hexenes (sharing one double bond with benzene ring).. I have performed a friedel's craft reaction on this compound,, and i think the product should be alkyl-added onto the para position in the original benzene ring (or could it also be that alkyl group can go to the other benzene ring). Then the next part involves reacting it with excess NBS in CCl4 and BPO. Now i cant figure out if the NBS can brominate all the benzylic carbons (which means 5 bromines on the subsituted ring structure) and one on the alkyl we added with freidal's craft. Its bothering me that its in excess plus why would NBS purposely wont pick the substituted ring benzene :( I hope I'm making sense explaning it.. Thanks

Offline missk15

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: NBS in BPO and CCl4
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 04:59:43 PM »
Okay i will simplify the question..
IF there are more than 1 benzylic carbons present in a compound, when we are treating it with excess NBS/BPO/CCl4, would all the benzylic carbons would get brominated? Or is there any preference for one over the other?
Thanks

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Re: Friedal's craft with NBS bromination in BPO and CCl4
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 07:28:49 AM »
If all of them are equivalent, they will have an equal probability of being attacked. So, the problem will simply boil down to the amount of reagent you are using.

On the contrary, if each benzylic carbon produces a different reactive intermediate (free radical/carbocation/carbanion), then you also need to take into account its stability.

Please correct me if I am wrong
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 07:58:09 AM by Schrödinger »
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Sponsored Links