April 25, 2024, 06:48:37 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Neodymium(III) acetylacetonate trihydrate solubility?  (Read 3510 times)

Offline Finnegan

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Neodymium(III) acetylacetonate trihydrate solubility?
« on: February 03, 2010, 07:55:32 PM »
I'm not sure this is the right forum but here it goes:

How can I solubilize this composite? I tried water but apparently the solubility is quite limited in it. People are suggesting DMSO but I'm not quite sure yet.

A bit of background: I'm trying to put this composite inside functionalized multi-walled carbon nanotubes of 10-15 nm of average diameter. The MWCNTs are either hydroxylated or carboxylated. The current procedure is to put a few milligrams of the nanotubes in water in the ultrasound for a few minutes and wait for complete solubilization. Then, I add the Neodymium(III) acetylacetonate trihydrate pounder over it and allow some more time in the ultrasound. After all is done, I put it in a magnetic bed and under reflux for 24h (90°C). It doesn't solubilize, even when the temperature reaches 90°C and over. By the way, I'm using 100 mg of Neodymium(III) acetylacetonate trihydrate for 10 mL of water.

A side question: do you chemists think that this composite will get inside the nanotube?

Formula: Nd(C5H7O2)3 · 3H2O

Sigma-Aldrich description: https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/ProductDetail.do?N4=460427%7CALDRICH&N5=Product%20No.%7CBRAND_KEY&F=SPEC

Sponsored Links