April 18, 2024, 08:17:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Iodometric titration of ascorbic acid with presence of Cu(NO3)2, data troubles?  (Read 4027 times)

Offline elerock21227

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
So for my lab I performed an iodometric titration of ascorbic acid to determine amount of vitamin c in a sample of orange juice. However, I was also required to investigate how presence of a transition metal affects the amount of vitamin C in a sample. I chose to use copper. However, my results don't make sense.

The more copper I added, the less titrant I needed. My control needed 5ml to endpoint. I added 2g of Cu (NO3)2 to my 25.00ml of orange juice-hcl-starch-KI solution and I only needed one drop of KIO3 to reach the endpoint. In my calculations, the concentration of vitamin C actually INCREASES?  ??? ???

I investigated the possibility of a side reaction

2 CuI2 → 2 CuI + I2

Although, I did not observe any gas emitted... There was no CUI precipitate because KI was present

Any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 01:22:53 AM by elerock21227 »

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
http://daphne.palomar.edu/ngeetha/210%20Stuff/Iodimetric%20Titration%20of%20Vitamin%20C.htm

You did completely wrong experiment. You cannot add any metal cation that oxidize iodide to iodine ie. Cu2+, Fe3+ Mn3+ etc.
AWK

Sponsored Links