April 18, 2024, 07:54:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Oxidation number of propane not integer?  (Read 11283 times)

Offline Gargamel

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Oxidation number of propane not integer?
« on: February 05, 2010, 01:55:16 PM »
Hello

I wonder whats the oxidation number of propane (C3H8). I get -8/3 because H is +1, and there are 3 C's, so each C must have -8/3 so the sum of all oxidation numbers is zero.

But it could also be that the 2 C's in the ends each have -3 and C-atom in the middle have -2. Im not quite sure which is the correct answer, as my book doesnt say anything about oxidationnumbers in organic chemistry. But there is reaction of propanes combustion, so I got curious.

Hope you can help

Thx for reading

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Re: Oxidation number of propane not integer?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 04:30:32 AM »
How exactly do you calculate oxidation numbers? What decides the oxidation number of each atom in the molecule?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 11:56:51 AM »
You don't ask about oxidation number of propane, but about oxidation numbers of carbons in propane - oxidation number is not property of compound.

There is a trick that helps to assign ON to carbons - you treat each carbon atom separately and you ignore C-C bond. This way it is obvious carbon in -CH3 groups has ON -3 and in -CH2- group has ON -2. But remember that ON don't exist, they don't reflect any measurable property of the atoms - putting too much effort into them is a waste of time.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Gargamel

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 05:27:55 AM »
Thx Borek. That helped for my understanding.

Schrodinger, i know how to calculate the ON...see first post. (nice name btw)

Sponsored Links