April 25, 2024, 06:47:25 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: eugenol extraction lab: chemical rxns  (Read 9226 times)

Offline cherrytomb

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
eugenol extraction lab: chemical rxns
« on: February 09, 2010, 07:25:12 PM »
Hi. I have a pre-lab sheet to fill out, where you have to state all the components found in the aqueous layers and organic layers after each extraction. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the eugenol/acetyleugenol extraction lab. We use dichloromethane, NaOH, and HCl. I have most of the sheet filled out and I know that after adding NaOH the eugenol loses its proton on its hydroxyl group, giving it a negative charge. I'm then left with a sodium cation the negatively charged eugenol and water. Then we add HCl, which gives me my eugenol back, and NaCl if I'm not mistaken. But what happens when you add dichloromethane now? I know it isolates the eugenol in the organic layer, but what happens with the NaCl and the rest? What's in the aqueous layer? I was wondering if someone knew??

Offline stewie griffin

• Mole Snacks: +61/-7
Re: eugenol extraction lab: chemical rxns
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 07:42:47 PM »
Polar molecules (like ions and charged organic molecules) will go into or stay in the water layer. Nonpolar molecules (neutral organics) will go into or stay in the organic phase. Adding the dichloromethane simply pulls the neutral organic into the organic phase. The NaCl is left in the water layer.

Sponsored Links